Modern Quantum Mechanics: J.J. Sakurai's eq. (1.7.31) Explained

• Thread starter omoplata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, the equation (1.7.31) from "Modern Quantum Mechanics, revised edition" by J.J. Sakurai states that the Delta function is equal to the Fourier transform of the exponential function, which is given by the inverse Fourier transform of the Delta function multiplied by a constant factor of 2π. This is a definition of the Delta function and can be seen through the mathematical operations of the Fourier transform and its inverse.
omoplata
From "Modern Quantum Mechanics, revised edition" by J.J. Sakurai, page 56.

In equation (1.7.31) it is given,
[tex]\begin{eqnarray}
\delta(x' - x'') & = & | N |^2 \int dp' \exp \left[ \frac{ip'(x'-x'')}{\hbar} \right] \\
& = & 2 \pi \hbar | N |^2 \delta(x' - x'' )
\end{eqnarray}[/tex]
How does the right side happen. Is this a definition of the delta function?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a Fourier transform.

To see this the Fourier transformation is given by
[tex]\mathcal{F}[\delta (x)] = \int \delta (x)\exp \left(-i2\pi px\right) dx = \frac{1}{2\pi}\exp (0) = \frac{1}{2\pi}[/tex]
Inverse transformation gives
[tex]\delta(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int \exp \left( ipx\right) dp[/tex]

And thus [tex]\int \exp \left(ipx\right) dp = 2\pi \delta (x)[/tex]

Can you see it now?

Last edited:
Actually, δ(x) = (1/2π) ∫eipx dp

Ok, my bad. Been 3 years since I actually 'performed' a Fourier transformation. Should've checked it
I forgot the [tex]2\pi[/tex] factor in the exponential.

OK, I see it now. Thanks.

1. What is J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) in Modern Quantum Mechanics?

J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) is a key equation in Modern Quantum Mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum state in terms of its energy and time. It is also known as the Schrödinger equation and is essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How is J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) derived?

J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) is derived from basic principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Hamiltonian operator and the time-dependent Schrödinger equation. It is a fundamental equation that helps to describe the behavior of quantum systems and their evolution over time.

3. What is the significance of J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) in quantum mechanics?

J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems and their evolution over time. It is a fundamental equation that is used in many areas of quantum mechanics, including quantum computing, quantum chemistry, and quantum field theory.

4. Can J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) can be applied to any quantum system, as long as the system is described by the principles of quantum mechanics. It is a general equation that can be used to describe the behavior of particles, atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31)?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of J.J. Sakurai's equation (1.7.31) in fields such as quantum computing, nuclear physics, and materials science. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems, which has practical applications in technology and research.