Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sakurai's treatment of Feynman's Path Integral

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    I just finished reading Sakurai's treatment of feynman's path integral, and I'm left feeling really stupid. So the integral gives the propagator, which represents a transition amplitude. I'm left wondering what we use that for. Perhaps I'll understand when I start working some problems, or perhaps after I read the derivation a few more times. But, just to cover my bases, can anybody recommend a different source of the path integral derivation (which, according to sakurai really isn't a derivation)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The propagator is good for a lot of things. It gives you a complete solution to the Schrodinger equation for arbitrary initial conditions so that if [tex] K(x,t;x',t') [/tex] is the propagator then

[tex] \psi(x,t) = \int dx' \, K(x,t;x',0) \psi(x',0) [/tex]

and [tex] \psi(x,t) [/tex] satisfies the Schrodinger equation. It can do a lot more too, it encodes all the information about the bound states and their energies.

Sakurai's treatment is rather terse. A great source for path integrals in general is "Techniques and Applications of Path Integration" by Schulman. A good online source is http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0004090
  4. Oct 20, 2005 #3
    Go straight to the source, Feynman himself! He is justly well-known for providing good physical pictures behind the math. See the thread "I need some bibliography" for some of his writings ...

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4
    I recommend the book by Ramond "Quantum field theory, a modern primer"
    Path integral methods is a powerful tool in Quantum field theory,
    particularly in Gauge field theory.
  6. Oct 26, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I also like Cohen-Tannoudji's axiomatical treatmeant of path-integrals. In the first volume of his QM book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?