Sallen-key and Chebyshev filter

• Thread starter ╔(σ_σ)╝
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, the conversation discussed the transfer function of a second order Chebyshev filter and the general transfer function of a Sallen-Key circuit. The equations used for the two functions were mentioned, as well as the values for R1, R2, C1, and C2. The problem arose when trying to calculate the gain, as using the equation K = 3 - 1/Q resulted in a different value than using k = 1/w^2. The individual seeking help is unsure why this discrepancy exists and would like further clarification on the issue. Additionally, there is uncertainty about whether the value of Q used for the Chebyshev filter is the same as the value used for the Sallen-Key circuit.
╔(σ_σ)╝

Homework Statement

I have a transfer function from a second order chebyshev filter and the general transfer function of a sallen-key circuit. I have some questions.

Homework Equations

I am using a 2nd order low-pass filter sallen key on page 8 of this pdf :http://focus.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/an/sloa024b/sloa024b.pdf

My R1 and R2 are the same and I have only one value of C1 and C2.

For the Sallen-key I know the tranfer function is

[tex] H \left( s \right) = \frac{k w^{2}}{ s^{2} + \frac{w}{Q}s + w^2} [/tex]

For a chebyshev filter I have a second order transfer function as follows [tex] H \left( s \right) = \frac{1}{ s^{2} + 0.1705s + 0.903} [/tex]

I know that [itex] K = 3 - \frac{1}{Q} [/itex]

K is my Gain.

[tex] k = 1+ \frac{R_{b}}{R_{a}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that if I use the equation [itex] K = 3 - \frac{1}{Q} [/itex] I get a different value for K than if I use the equation [itex] k = \frac{1}{w^2} [/itex]

I got the equation [itex] k = \frac{1}{w^2} [/itex] from inspecting the transfor function of the Sallen-Key and noticing that [itex] kw^{2} = 1[/tex] for the chebyshev TF.

Apparently, the equation is not correct but I don't know why. I would like someone to shed more light on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I am not sure if the value of Q that I am using for the Chebyshev transfer function is the same as the value of Q that I am using for the Sallen-Key transfer function.

1. What is a Sallen-key filter and how does it work?

A Sallen-key filter is an active filter circuit that is commonly used to filter out specific frequencies from an electronic signal. It consists of a combination of resistors, capacitors, and operational amplifiers. The circuit works by attenuating certain frequencies while allowing others to pass through, based on the values of the components used.

2. What is the difference between a Sallen-key filter and a Chebyshev filter?

The main difference between a Sallen-key filter and a Chebyshev filter is the type of frequency response they produce. A Sallen-key filter has a Butterworth response, meaning that it has a flat passband and a gradual roll-off of frequencies outside the passband. A Chebyshev filter, on the other hand, has a steeper roll-off but with ripples in the passband.

3. What are the advantages of using a Sallen-key filter?

One of the main advantages of a Sallen-key filter is its simplicity and low cost. It also has a relatively flat passband and a gradual roll-off, making it useful for applications where a smooth frequency response is desired. Additionally, the gain of the filter can be easily adjusted by changing the values of the components used.

4. What are the applications of a Sallen-key filter?

Sallen-key filters are commonly used in audio applications, such as in equalizers and tone controls. They are also used in instrumentation and signal processing circuits to filter out noise and unwanted frequencies. In addition, Sallen-key filters can be found in power supply circuits to reduce ripple and noise in the output.

5. How do I design a Sallen-key or Chebyshev filter?

Designing a Sallen-key or Chebyshev filter requires knowledge of filter theory and circuit design. The first step is to determine the desired frequency response and the cutoff frequency. Then, using equations and filter design tools, the values of the components can be calculated to achieve the desired response. It is important to consider the limitations and trade-offs of the filter design, such as component tolerances and cost, to ensure the filter meets the desired specifications.