Learn How to Use Salome CAD Software for Creating STL Files

In summary, the conversation was about using the open-source software Salome to build STL files and specifically, cutting a triangular cylinder from a rectangular cylinder. The process involved building the two cylinders and then using the Boolean operation "Cut" to remove one from the other. However, the user encountered an error message stating that the Boolean operation could not be performed due to self-intersection of the argument shape. Despite trying various solutions found through online searches, the issue was resolved by deleting the object and restarting the program.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm using Salome, an opensource software to build .stl files. I'm trying to cut a triangular cylinder from a rectangular cylinder.

Here's how I build the two cylinders: I'm building the rectangular cylinder through the hot key "build a box" toggle. To build the triangular cylinder, I first select New Entity >> Basic >> 2D Sketch,and apply coordinates (0,0),(5,10),(0,10),(0,0). From here I create a face from this 2D sketch via New Entity >> Build >> Face. Lastly, I build the 3D solid by extruding the face via New Entity >> Generation >> Extrusion.

Now that two solids are build, I remove one from the other via Operations >> Boolean >> Cut. However, I get the error "Boolean operation will not be performed, because argument shape is self-intersected". Your help is greatly appreciated!

Computer science news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
"Boolean operation will not be performed, because argument shape is self-intersected"
Short version: https://solution938.wordpress.com/category/salome/

Long version: https://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/579440307

(above found with a Google search:

google.com/search?&q=Salome+"Boolean+operation+will+not+be+performed%2C+because+argument+shape+is+self-intersected"

There were only seven hits!)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes member 428835 and sysprog
Tom.G said:
Short version: https://solution938.wordpress.com/category/salome/

Long version: https://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/579440307

(above found with a Google search:

google.com/search?&q=Salome+"Boolean+operation+will+not+be+performed%2C+because+argument+shape+is+self-intersected"

There were only seven hits!)

Cheers,
Tom
I googled forever! Saw the second link but it didn't help. I'll check out the first tomorrow when I get my machine with the program. Thanks!

UPDATE: after trying all the above from Tom.G and other sources, I deleted my object, restarted, and everything worked as posted in my first post. Unsure what the issue was, but it's over. Thanks Tom for your interest!

Likes Tom.G

1. What is Salome CAD software?

Salome CAD software is an open-source 3D modeling and simulation platform used for designing and analyzing complex geometries. It allows users to create and manipulate 3D models, meshes, and simulations for a variety of engineering and scientific applications.

2. How do I install Salome CAD software?

Salome CAD software can be downloaded for free from the official website. Simply select the appropriate version for your operating system and follow the installation instructions provided. You may also need to install additional software dependencies depending on your system.

3. What types of files can be exported from Salome CAD?

Salome CAD software can export various file formats, including STL, STEP, IGES, BREP, and VTK. However, the most commonly used format for 3D printing is STL (Standard Triangle Language), which creates a mesh of triangles to represent the 3D model.

4. How can I create an STL file using Salome CAD?

To create an STL file using Salome CAD, first, create your 3D model or import an existing one. Then, use the Mesh module to generate a mesh from your model. Finally, use the Export option to save the mesh as an STL file. Make sure to check the mesh quality before exporting to ensure a smooth 3D printing process.

5. Are there any tutorials available for learning how to use Salome CAD?

Yes, there are various tutorials and resources available online to help you learn how to use Salome CAD. The official website offers a user guide and video tutorials, and there are also many online forums and communities where users share tips and tricks for using the software. Additionally, you can find online courses and workshops that offer in-depth training on Salome CAD.