Salt absorbtion from the ocean

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential risks of wade fishing in the ocean for someone with Menieres disease and a sensitivity to salt. The possibility of salt entering the bloodstream through the skin is raised, and it is advised to have a partner present and stay hydrated while fishing in order to avoid becoming dizzy or dehydrated.
cwatts1946
I have checked with doctors and even some molecular biologist and can't get
a solid answer. I like to wade fish in the ocean and I have Menieres disease.
I have to really watch salt in my body. If I fish waist deep in the ocean for 5 or 6 hours a day will the skin allow salt to enter the blood stream.

The skin does allow certain things to pass , what about the salt molecule?

cwatts1946

Chemistry news on Phys.org
JMHO...
At the very least you would want to have a partner, buddy fish with you to keep an eye on you if you were to become dizzy- drowning would be quite hazardous ;-) Also you would want to carry plenty of fresh water and keep hydrated.

In sea water (hypertonic) the osmotic potential predicts that water would go from the body (tonic) to the seawater... You would start to see yourself "prune" up in your extremities... It would have the same effect to you as too much salt since you have concentrated the electrolytes in your body by removing water through the skin. Keep your excursions short and hydrate often, and have a buddy close by, and of course keep your doctor in the loop.

1. How does salt get into the ocean?

Salt is constantly being added to the ocean through various processes. The main source of salt is from rocks on land that weather and erode over time, releasing minerals and salts into rivers and streams. These rivers and streams then carry the salt into the ocean. Additionally, volcanic eruptions and underwater hydrothermal vents can also contribute to the salt content in the ocean.

2. Why is the ocean salty?

The ocean is salty because of the presence of dissolved salts, such as sodium chloride (common table salt) and magnesium chloride. As mentioned before, these salts are carried into the ocean through various processes, and they do not evaporate with water. Therefore, over time, the concentration of salt in the ocean increases.

3. How is salt absorbed from the ocean?

Salt is primarily absorbed from the ocean through the process of evaporation. When water evaporates from the ocean's surface, the salt remains behind and becomes more concentrated. This process is known as desalination and is used to produce freshwater from seawater.

4. What factors affect the rate of salt absorption from the ocean?

The rate of salt absorption from the ocean is affected by various factors, such as temperature, wind, and ocean currents. Higher temperatures and strong winds can increase the rate of evaporation, leading to higher salt concentrations in the ocean. Conversely, colder temperatures and calm winds can decrease the rate of evaporation and result in lower salt concentrations.

5. How does salt absorption from the ocean impact marine life?

Salt absorption from the ocean can have both positive and negative impacts on marine life. Some marine organisms, such as saltwater fish and algae, require a certain level of salinity to survive. However, high salt concentrations can be harmful to other species and can also affect the overall balance of the marine ecosystem. Additionally, human activities, such as overfishing and pollution, can also disrupt the natural salt balance in the ocean and have detrimental effects on marine life.