Salt deposit deterrance by Magnesium rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a magnesium rod/element to prevent salt deposition on a heavily coated heater element in a domestic water heater. The magnesium is believed to act as a sacrificial anode, creating seed crystals elsewhere to reduce mineral deposits. However, if used as a sacrificial anode, it may actually increase the hardness of the water and the amount of mineral deposits.
NSK8700
I recently repaired a domestic water heater and had to replace the heater element that was heavily coated with hard water salts as well as the SS (Stainless Steel) tank had a large quantity of salt precipitate; the heater element has the option to have a magnesium rod/ element placed/ coupled with the heating elements.It is said it will deter salt deposition on the heating element. I wish someone could explain me the chemical dynamics of this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hard water deposits are mainly magnesium and calcium compounds. I'm guessing the surface of the Mg rod oxidizes and serves to provide seed crystals somewhere other than the heating element.

If it were serving as a sacrificial anode, it would actually increase the hardness of the water (and the amount of mineral deposits).

1. What is salt deposit deterrence by Magnesium rod?

Salt deposit deterrence by Magnesium rod is a process that involves the use of a Magnesium rod to prevent the buildup of salt deposits on certain surfaces, such as pipes, fixtures, and appliances.

2. How does Magnesium rod prevent salt deposits?

Magnesium rod works by releasing ions into the water, which react with the salt particles and convert them into harmless substances that cannot form deposits.

3. Is Magnesium rod safe to use?

Yes, Magnesium rod is safe to use. It is non-toxic and does not introduce any chemicals into the water.

4. How long does Magnesium rod last?

The lifespan of a Magnesium rod can vary depending on the water quality and usage. On average, it can last anywhere from 3 to 5 years.

5. Can Magnesium rod be used in all types of water?

Magnesium rod can be used in most types of water, including hard water. However, it may not be as effective in extremely hard water with high levels of salt deposits.