1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Salvaging my GPA

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am a little anxious about saving my GPA after a failed semester. I received two C's. Both from required math and English courses. What would you do? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2
    Drink a cup of cement and harden the f*ck up.

Hit the books.

Find your university's tutoring center. Use it. You're paying for it anyway.

Talk to your professors. Most are willing to help outside of class, or suggest resources for continued study.

And don't stress too much about it. I wouldn't call two C's a failing semester. I'd call it a minor setback. And, if you were a high school whiz and you're talking about your first semester in college, get used to it. Unless you become a recluse and live in the library, you will eventually get B's and C's in some of your college courses. Just remember that the next four years are supposed to be fun too. Remember that this is your time and nobody else's. If your parents pushed you into the major you're stressing about, f*ck 'em. You're the one that's going to be paying back the student loans anyway. Take an intro to engineering class. Take an art appreciation class. Take calligraphy. Take african-american women's studies. Take intro to construction management. Explore, and find your true calling.

That's how you make failure your b*tch.

4. Feb 17, 2012 #3
    Whoa, you are hardcore. Thanks.

5. Feb 17, 2012 #4
    No sense in beating around the bush. My parents pushed me into an aerospace engineering major when I entered college. I was never any good at math, physics, or calculus, and more importantly, I didn't enjoy it. I do have a passion for all things mechanical, and after about a year-long exploratory period, I settled on a degree in Professional and Technical writing. There are plenty of jobs available in the field, and best of all, I love it.

I've excelled in my courses and built relationships with both faculty and potential future employers, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I get to work close enough to the things I enjoy, but I don't have to hate my life because of the math involved. If I could enjoy being an engineer, I would, but instead, I found something I love.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook