Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sam Brownback

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    :surprised

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_el_pr/brownback2008

Good luck overcoming that second one. Hehe...

Anyone else vaguely reminded of Le Pen in 2002?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rach3, you should probably come up with another title.

4. Jan 21, 2007 #3
    I don't have the power to change it you know. :rolleyes: But if you want to, may I suggest "Vote Brownback - kick biologists out of our schools" or "Crazy Kansas Creationist Caricature".

5. Jan 21, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Huh? Shouldn't the title be related to the article in the OP?

6. Jan 21, 2007 #5
    Yeah - Sam Brownback. :rolleyes:

7. Jan 21, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. :smile:

It used to be that you could edit the title if done soon enough. Is this no longer true?

8. Jan 21, 2007 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That comment might not be up to date. Brownback was a more or less mainstream Protestant until 1994, when he became an Evangelical Christian. In 2002, he converted to Catholicism, which is more concerned with why the universe and life was created than how. (The creation of the 'soul' is a different matter.)

After converting, he changed his stance on the death penalty to one more consistent with the Catholic Church. There's no particular reason for his beliefs on creation to change, but I don't think denial of evolution is nearly as prevalent among Catholics as Evangelicals.

You might be right, but I wouldn't guarantee it. If his religious conversions have been motivated more by politics than personal reasons, he probably wouldn't abandon a position that could be acceptable in both religions. It's not too hard to see that the overwhelming majority of his views make him the candidate most supportive of the Christian right's desires, including school vouchers that would help religious schools.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  9. Jan 21, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

TEXT OF POPE'S STATEMENT REGARDING EVOLUTION
    http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=2784

10. Jan 21, 2007 #9
    As a Catholic, I am offended by Brownback's statements on evolution. He clearly knows nothing about the religion he converted to. Maybe if he had gone to Catholic school, he would've known that they universally teach evolution in their science classes. :rolleyes:

11. Jan 21, 2007 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which specific statements?

Here's something I just dug up (but it's from just before his conversion):
    http://www.aip.org/fyi/2001/081.html

12. Jan 21, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't the same logic apply to most of cosmology? Have we ever observed the creation of a universe?

13. Jan 21, 2007 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What logic? That poor excuse for an argument is founded on some definition of Science that only Brownback and the KSB are aware of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?