Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Same Old Party

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    From the New York Times

October 8, 2007
    Same Old Party
    By PAUL KRUGMAN

continued - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/opinion/08krugman.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2
    Bush hasn't strayed from conservative principles because he acts the same as other people who have strayed from conservative principles. That's not much of an argument.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #3
    kach22i

Form the link:

Up until the current Bush administration all I ever heard from republicans was "fiscal responsibility". It was their mantra. Deficit spending was absolutely abhorred by republicans.

As far as the statement of Irving Kristol and it's interpretation, it appears that the only thing that republicans really care about is that there is a republican majority. That old sack of fish is starting to smell.

This new "deficit spending is great" attitude looks more like a means of covering up for Bush's terrible spending policies in order to try to regain the coveted majority status.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    What republicans say and what they do has a way of being completely contradictory, and not by accident.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #5
    The republicans want to dismantle government by being really really bad at it. The phrase; "your'e doing a great job, Brownie" comes to mind.

Reagan spent like crazy in a peace time military build up while cutting taxes (for the rich) and increasing the national debt like crazy..............the role model for republican conduct today.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm with jimmy here. The article is littered with strawmen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?