What is the Best Way to Determine Sampling Accuracy in Large Populations?

In summary, confidence intervals provide a reliable estimate for proportions when the sample size is large, but they don't provide a 100% guarantee.
Virous
Good afternoon!

Suppose I have a box with N marbles of different color and I want to know the ratio of the number of green ones to N (number X). The number of marbles (N) is so huge that there`s absolutely no way to get them all out of the box and count. What I do instead is I take a sample of M randomly picked marbles and count the ratio of green ones within this sample. I obtain another value - Y.

It is obvious that as M approaches N, Y approaches X. The question is: up to what significant figure can I trust the value of Y?

I know that to get a proper answer I have to calculate probabilities of each significant figure being correct and then establish a trust boundary (let`s say, if it is 90% or more - I consider it to be correct). And I do understand the process of calculation. My question is the following:

Is there an already well established solution for this problem that I can just quote in my essay and avoid adding unnecessary information? I`m pretty sure that it exists, since I can`t be the only one facing this problem. I just need the name :)

Deep Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Virous said:
Suppose I have a box with N marbles of different color and I want to know the ratio of the number of green ones to N (number X). The number of marbles (N) is so huge that there`s absolutely no way to get them all out of the box and count. What I do instead is I take a sample of M randomly picked marbles and count the ratio of green ones within this sample. I obtain another value - Y.
Say you draw n<<N marbles, and g of them are green, then you want to use this result as an estimator for the probability of drawing a green marble out of the population? i.e. P(g)=g/n ... how good an estimator is this?
Well, if n=1, that's a pretty bad estimator ...

Working out population statistics from sample statistics is well studied and there are lots of ways to approach it - covered in standard statistics textbooks. For you, I think: look up "Bayesian Analysis" - it helps to think of the sample as n independent trials with possible outcomes g and not-g.

Virous said:
Is there an already well established solution for this problem that I can just quote in my essay and avoid adding unnecessary information? I`m pretty sure that it exists, since I can`t be the only one facing this problem. I just need the name :)

The name "confidence interval" is often associated with the scenario you describe, but it does not give you the ironclad guarantees that you want - even though many people misinterpret it as doing so. (For example "90% confidence" isn't synonymous with "90% probability".) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_proportion_confidence_interval

If you really want to make the claim that "There is a 90% probablity that the actual proportion of the population is in the following interval:..." then, as Simon Bridge said, you must take a Bayesian approach.

Your case can be modeled by a binomial distribution. The standard deviation is √(p(1-p)/n), where p is estimated by the sample average and n is the sample size.

Thanks to everyone!

The solution came from an A-Level book in the form of confidence intervals. Special thanks to Stephen for telling me what to look for in the book`s index. Unfortunately, overloading the essay with mathematical stuff appeared to be inevitable :(.

1. What is sampling accuracy estimation?

Sampling accuracy estimation is a statistical process used to determine the precision of a sample in representing a larger population. It involves calculating the margin of error and confidence interval to estimate how closely the sample reflects the true population values.

2. Why is sampling accuracy estimation important?

Sampling accuracy estimation is important because it allows researchers to make inferences about a population based on a smaller sample. It helps to determine the reliability and validity of the data collected and can help to avoid biased or misleading conclusions.

3. What factors can affect sampling accuracy estimation?

There are several factors that can affect sampling accuracy estimation, including the size of the sample, the representativeness of the sample, the sampling method used, and the variability of the population.

4. How is sampling accuracy estimation calculated?

The calculation of sampling accuracy estimation involves determining the margin of error and confidence interval. The margin of error is calculated by dividing the standard deviation of the sample by the square root of the sample size. The confidence interval is then calculated by adding and subtracting the margin of error from the sample mean.

5. What are some common methods for improving sampling accuracy estimation?

Some common methods for improving sampling accuracy estimation include increasing the sample size, using a random sampling method, and ensuring that the sample is representative of the population. It is also important to minimize sources of bias and to use appropriate statistical tests to analyze the data.