Solving Sampling Frequencies: Discrete Time Signal & Nyquist Frequency

In summary, the problem involves finding the discrete time signal and frequency of a sampled sine wave at a sampling rate of 2000 Hz, with an original frequency of 500 Hz and a Nyquist frequency of 1000 Hz. The discrete time signal is the sampled values at each sample time, and the frequency can vary depending on the phase of the sampling.
Whoohw

Homework Statement

x(t) = 3*sin(1000*pi*t)

Suppose that the signal is sampled at a rate of fs = 2000Hz. What is the discrete time signal obtained after sampling (i.e., the signal expressed as a function of sample number n, x[n])

What discrete time frequency, f-hat will the signal x[n] be at if x(t) is sampled at its nyquist frequency?

Homework Equations

From the previous parts of this problem:
Original Frequency in hertz: 500 Hz
Niquist frequency: 1000 Hz

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand what a discrete time signal is, and as such, i have no idea what to do for these two steps of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoohw said:

Homework Statement

x(t) = 3*sin(1000*pi*t)

Suppose that the signal is sampled at a rate of fs = 2000Hz. What is the discrete time signal obtained after sampling (i.e., the signal expressed as a function of sample number n, x[n])

What discrete time frequency, f-hat will the signal x[n] be at if x(t) is sampled at its nyquist frequency?

Homework Equations

From the previous parts of this problem:
Original Frequency in hertz: 500 Hz
Niquist frequency: 1000 Hz

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand what a discrete time signal is, and as such, i have no idea what to do for these two steps of the problem.

The discrete time signals are just the sample values at each sample time. So if you sample a sine wave twice per cycle, and happen to hit the correct phase to sample the + and - peaks of the waveform, your discrete time samples will alternate +/-1. If you sample at 4 times the period of the sine wave, what are the possible discrete time snapshot values that you can get (there is more than one set, depending on the phase of the sampling, right?)?

What is a discrete time signal?

A discrete time signal is a signal that is represented by a sequence of numbers, with each number representing the amplitude of the signal at a specific time interval. It is a digital representation of a continuous time signal.

What is a sampling frequency?

A sampling frequency is the number of samples per second taken from a continuous time signal to create a discrete time signal. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

Why is the Nyquist frequency important in sampling?

The Nyquist frequency is the maximum frequency that can be accurately represented in a discrete time signal without causing aliasing. Aliasing occurs when a high frequency signal is sampled at a rate that is too low, resulting in distortion or loss of information. The Nyquist frequency helps ensure that the sampled signal accurately reflects the original continuous signal.

How do I determine the Nyquist frequency for my signal?

The Nyquist frequency can be determined by dividing the sampling frequency by 2. For example, if your sampling frequency is 1000 Hz, the Nyquist frequency would be 500 Hz. This means that any signal with a frequency above 500 Hz would be distorted if sampled at 1000 Hz.

What happens if I sample a signal at a frequency higher than the Nyquist frequency?

Sampling a signal at a frequency higher than the Nyquist frequency can result in aliasing, which can cause distortion and loss of information in the sampled signal. It is important to properly determine and use the Nyquist frequency in sampling to avoid this issue.