I=5.805 kgm^2San Francisco YoYo Acceleration and Tension Calculations

• Thread starter efitzgerald21
  • Start date
In summary: Keep trying and practicing. Remember, the moment of inertia for a disk is (1/2)mr^2, so the equation you used to find I is correct. As for the tension, your equation is also correct. In summary, the conversation discusses the release of a large yo-yo over San Francisco Bay and the questions of its acceleration and tension during its fall and rise. The equations used to solve for these values include the equation for rolling down a ramp and the equation for moment of inertia for a disk.
efitzgerald21

Homework Statement

A large yo-yo is released from a crane over San Francisco Bay. The 129 kg yo-yo consists of two uniform disks of radius 30 cm connected by an axle of radius 3.2 cm.
(a) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the yo-yo during its fall?
(b) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the yo-yo during its rise?
(c) What is the tension in the cord on which it rolls?
Hint: Use the equation for rolling down a ramp.

Homework Equations

a= -g/(1+I/mr^2) is the equation it is referring to
For a disk, I=(mr^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck at finding I. I would apply the disk equation to each of the three disks in the yoyo. But it doesn't divide the three disks into their individual masses, so I don't know how to find I.
Parts A and B should be the same, correct?
And to find tension, F(total)=ma=F(gravity)-F(tension)=mg-F(tension), so F(tension)=mg-ma correct?

Update:
Resolved myself...I don't really understand why this was correct but it was.
I=((129 kg)(.3 m)^2)/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't understand why, then it is not resolved!
That's the right time to solve and learn.

1. What is "San Francisco YoYo"?

San Francisco YoYo is a type of yo-yo that was invented in San Francisco, California in the 1990s. It is known for its unique design and advanced spinning capabilities.

2. How is "San Francisco YoYo" different from traditional yo-yos?

San Francisco YoYo has a larger diameter and a wider gap between the two halves, allowing for longer and smoother spins. It also has a more aerodynamic shape and a unique axle system that reduces friction and increases stability.

3. What are some popular tricks that can be performed with "San Francisco YoYo"?

Some popular tricks include the "Split the Atom", "Trapeze", and "Double or Nothing". These tricks take advantage of the San Francisco YoYo's advanced spinning capabilities and unique design.

4. Can "San Francisco YoYo" be used for competitive play?

Yes, San Francisco YoYo is often used in yo-yo competitions due to its advanced design and capabilities. There are even specific competitions and events dedicated to this type of yo-yo.

5. Where can I purchase a "San Francisco YoYo"?

You can purchase a San Francisco YoYo from various online retailers or specialty yo-yo stores. You may also be able to find them at toy stores or hobby shops in larger cities.