Inelastic Collisions and the Limitations of Conservation of Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the power needed to drive a conveyor belt carrying sand at a constant rate and speed. Part (a) asks for the power needed to drive the belt, while part (b) compares this to the rate of change of kinetic energy of the sand. The difference between these two quantities is explained by using the wrong equation for kinetic energy. The conversation then shifts to discussing the use of conservation of energy in an inelastic collision.
PeteSeeger

Homework Statement

Sand runs from a hopper at constant rate dm/dt onto a horizontal
conveyor belt driven at constant speed V by a motor.
(a) Find the power needed to drive the belt.
(b) Compare the answer to (a) with the rate of change of kinetic
energy of the sand. Can you account for the difference?

Homework Equations

[tex]P=F{\cdot}v[/tex]
[tex]F=\dot{m}v+ma[/tex] (Since the sand's horizontal velocity component in our assumed reference frame is 0)
[tex]W=\Delta{T}=\int{Fdx}[/tex] (This is a definite integral but I don't know how to show bounds in latex)

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so part (a) is pretty straightforward. a is 0, just the mass is changing, so [tex]F=\dot{m}v[/tex] and then [tex]P=\dot{m}v^2[/tex]
So, now for part (b), which is the part that is confusing me, [tex]T=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex] so [tex]\dot{T}=\frac{1}{2}\dot{m}v^2+mva[/tex] a is 0, so [tex]\dot{T}=\frac{1}{2}\dot{m}v^2[/tex]
So, now we find that the rate of change of kinetic energy is one half the power, which is what I presume they expected us to find by the wording of the question. But, when I start to think about an explanation, what I see is that the reason these aren't equal is because, mathematically, when we derive the equation [tex]W=\Delta{T}=\int{Fdx}=\frac{1}{2}mv_b^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_a^2[/tex] we assume that F=ma and m is a constant. But, if we rederive W with the correct assumptions for this problem [tex]W=\Delta{T}=\int{Fdx}=\int{(ma+\dot{m}v)dx}=\int{\dot{m}vdx}=mv_b^2-mv_a^2[/tex] we find that from our definition [tex]W=\Delta{T}[/tex] that the actual formula we should be using for this problem is [tex]T=mv^2[/tex] Now, if we use this equation for kinetic energy we derived from the correct assumptions for the problem, now we find that [tex]P=\dot{T}[/tex] So, I feel that the answer to part (b) is that the reason for the difference is that we are actually using the wrong equation for kinetic energy in this problem, and if we correct the formula, the two quantities are equal. Will someone tell me if all of this is correct, because I feel like I'm doing more than they've expected me to in this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeteSeeger said:
So, I feel that the answer to part (b) is that the reason for the difference is that we are actually using the wrong equation for kinetic energy in this problem, and if we correct the formula, the two quantities are equal. Will someone tell me if all of this is correct, because I feel like I'm doing more than they've expected me to in this problem.
We don't want to change the definition of kinetic energy (##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##).

So, you have shown that the power input to the system is greater than the rate at which kinetic energy of the sand is increasing. Makes you wonder if there is some other form of energy in the system that is also increasing with time.

If an object of mass m moving with speed v collides with and sticks
to another stationary object of mass m then why can't you use
conservation of energy to find the final speed of the combination
of mass 2 m?

J Hann said:
of mass 2 m?
I'm not sure whether you ask that because you do not know or whether you are just asking PeteSeeger to answer it.

J Hann said:
of mass 2 m?
haruspex said:
I'm not sure whether you ask that because you do not know or whether you are just asking PeteSeeger to answer it.
Pete Seeger seemed to imply that a solution should be obtainable using conservation of energy.
This is of course not true for inelastic collisions.

1. What is the purpose of a conveyor belt in sand production?

A conveyor belt is used to transport sand from one location to another in a production line. It helps to automate the process and increase efficiency by reducing manual labor and time.

2. How does a conveyor belt work to move sand?

A conveyor belt is made up of a continuous loop of material that rotates around two or more pulleys. The sand is placed on the belt and the rotation of the pulleys moves the sand along the belt to its desired destination.

3. What type of conveyor belt is best for moving sand?

A heavy-duty rubber belt is the most commonly used conveyor belt for moving sand. It is durable and can withstand the weight and abrasiveness of sand particles without breaking. Additionally, the rubber material helps to grip the sand and prevent it from slipping off the belt.

4. How do you maintain a conveyor belt used for sand production?

Regular maintenance of a conveyor belt is crucial for its proper functioning. This includes cleaning the belt to remove any buildup of sand or debris, checking for any damages, and ensuring the belt is properly tensioned. It is also important to replace worn parts and lubricate the moving parts to prevent friction and extend the lifespan of the belt.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with a sand conveyor belt?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when working with a sand conveyor belt. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and eye protection, to avoid any injuries from sand particles. It is also important to follow proper lockout/tagout procedures when performing maintenance on the belt to prevent accidents. Additionally, employees should be trained on how to operate the conveyor belt safely and be aware of emergency shut-off procedures in case of any issues.