Is A a Measurable Set with Sandwich Property?

In summary, a sandwich measurable set is a type of set in mathematics that can be measured by finding the difference between two outer measures. It is commonly used in the construction of Lebesgue-Stieltjes measures in analysis. The main difference from a Lebesgue measurable set is that a sandwich measurable set requires the use of two outer measures to find its measure. They are important in the construction of measures and can be used to measure sets that may not be Lebesgue measurable. A set is sandwich measurable if its measure can be found by taking the difference between two outer measures, and this can be checked using specific criteria. They also have applications in various fields outside of mathematics, such as physics and economics.
Funky1981
Suppose that A is subset of R (real line) with the property for every ε > 0 there are measurable sets B and C s.t. B⊂A⊂C and m(C\B)<ε
Prove A is measurable

By definition A is measurable we need to prove m(E)=m(E∩A)+m(E\A) for all E

the ≤ is trivial enough to show ≥:

Since C is measurable then m(E)= m(E∩C)+m(E\C)
≥ m(E∩A)+m(E\A)-ε (Since A is subset of C)
then move the ε to LHS and since for every ε so, let ε->0 , obtain the result.

is my solution right? i thought i should use B and m(C\B)<ε somewhere. Could some one help me to check it??

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume your ##m## denotes outer measure. I'm not sure how you obtained your inequality
$$m(E \cap C) + m(E\setminus C) \geq m(E \cap A) + m(E \setminus A) - \epsilon$$
I agree that ##m(E \cap C) \geq m(E \cap A)##, but how did you get the rest?

I was able to solve this pretty straightforwardly by using the fact that ##B## and ##C## are measureable.

Given ##\epsilon > 0##, there are ##B## and ##C## such that ##B \subset A \subset C## and ##m(C \setminus B) < \epsilon##. Let ##E## be any set. Since ##B## and ##C## are measurable, we have (*)
$$m(E) = m(E \cap C) + m(E \setminus C)$$
and
$$m(E) = m(E \cap B) + m(E \setminus B)$$
We also have the following inequalities due to the nesting of the sets:
$$m(E \cap B) \leq m(E \cap A) \leq m(E \cap C)$$
$$m(E \setminus C) \leq m(E \setminus A) \leq m(E \setminus B)$$
Adding these two inequalities, we get
$$m(E \cap B) + m(E \setminus C) \leq m(E \cap A) + m(E \setminus A) \leq m(E \cap C) + m(E \setminus B)$$
In light of (*) above, it therefore suffices to show that ##m(E \setminus B) \leq m(E \setminus C) + \epsilon##. But this follows easily from the fact that ##E \setminus B = (E \setminus C) \cup (E \cap (C \setminus B))##.

Last edited:
One nice consequence of this exercise is that we can immediately see that a measure obtained from an outer measure is complete: in other words, any subset of a set of measure zero is measurable. To see this, simply take ##B = \emptyset## and let ##C## be any set of measure zero.

Another way to do this:
For any [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] [itex]\exists B_n, C_n[/itex] s.t. [itex]B_n \subset A \subset C_n[/itex] and [itex]m(C_n \setminus B_n)<1/n[/itex]
Then [itex]m(A \setminus \bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n)≤m(C_n \setminus B_n)<1/n[/itex] for all n [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]m(A \setminus \bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n)=0[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]A \setminus \bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n[/itex] is measurable [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex] A = (A \setminus \bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n) \bigcup (\bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n) [/itex] is measurable, since each [itex]B_n[/itex] is measurable and the measurable sets form a σ-algebra.

Axiomer said:
Another way to do this:
For any [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] [itex]\exists B_n, C_n[/itex] s.t. [itex]B_n \subset A \subset C_n[/itex] and [itex]m(C_n \setminus B_n)<1/n[/itex]
Then [itex]m(A \setminus \bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n)≤m(C_n \setminus B_n)<1/n[/itex] for all n [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]m(A \setminus \bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n)=0[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]A \setminus \bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n[/itex] is measurable [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex] A = (A \setminus \bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n) \bigcup (\bigcup _{i=1}^∞B_n) [/itex] is measurable, since each [itex]B_n[/itex] is measurable and the measurable sets form a σ-algebra.
That's a nice proof. It requires knowing that any set with zero outer measure is measurable, but that's easy enough to prove directly from the Caratheodory criterion:

If ##E## is any set and ##m(A) = 0##, then ##m(E \cap A) \leq m(A) = 0##, so ##m(E \cap A) + m(E \setminus A) = m(E \setminus A) \leq m(E)##. The reverse inequality, ##m(E) \leq m(E \cap A) + m(E \setminus A)##, is an immediate consequence of subadditivity.

1. What is a sandwich measurable set?

A sandwich measurable set is a type of set in mathematics that can be measured by finding the difference between two outer measures. It is commonly used in the construction of Lebesgue-Stieltjes measures in analysis.

2. How is a sandwich measurable set different from a Lebesgue measurable set?

The main difference is that a Lebesgue measurable set can be measured directly using the Lebesgue measure, while a sandwich measurable set requires the use of two outer measures to find its measure.

3. What is the significance of sandwich measurable sets in mathematics?

Sandwich measurable sets are important in the construction of measures in analysis. They also provide a way to measure sets that may not be Lebesgue measurable.

4. How do you determine if a set is sandwich measurable?

A set is sandwich measurable if its measure can be found by taking the difference between two outer measures. This can be checked using specific criteria, such as the Carathéodory criterion.

5. Can sandwich measurable sets be used in applications outside of mathematics?

Yes, sandwich measurable sets have applications in various fields such as physics and economics. They can be used to measure quantities that do not have a direct measurement method, providing a more flexible approach to measurement.