What is a Sankey Diagram and Why Use It?

• Thread starter LatexZone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation discusses the use and benefits of a sankey diagram, which is a visual representation that displays the flow of energy or material. It is useful for creating posters and can be used to show the efficiency of various energy sources, such as solar, wind, wave, and geothermal power. The conversation suggests trying Google for more information and resources.
LatexZone
What do you honestly define a sankey diagram to be? I really don't think there's any point in using it. I mean, why would it help someone, what is the meaning of it and how is it used or when is it used..

I really don't have an understanding of this..maybe you do?

Engineering news on Phys.org
They give good visual representations and are useful for displays such as posters.

Anyone else? Any more advantages for using it? Any way you could describe to a friend what it is?

? Not much help lol.

I need help finding one for Electricity efficiency. Solar, Wind Power, Wave Power, GeoThermal etc.

What is a Sankey Diagram?

A Sankey diagram is a visual representation of data flow or energy flow between different entities. It uses arrows and proportional widths to show the quantity of flow from one entity to another.

Why use a Sankey Diagram?

Sankey diagrams are useful for understanding complex systems or processes and identifying where the majority of the flow is going. They are also effective for comparing different scenarios or variations within a system.

What are the key elements of a Sankey Diagram?

The key elements of a Sankey diagram include nodes, which represent the entities or categories, and the flows, which represent the connections or relationships between the nodes. The widths of the flows represent the quantities of flow between the nodes.

How is a Sankey Diagram different from other types of charts?

A Sankey diagram is different from other types of charts because it focuses on the flow or movement of data or energy rather than just the values or quantities. It also allows for multiple flows to be shown and compared at once.

In what fields is a Sankey Diagram commonly used?

Sankey diagrams are commonly used in fields such as engineering, environmental science, economics, and data analysis. They are also becoming increasingly popular in business and marketing for visualizing customer flow or conversion rates.