Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Santa Claus and The power of belief

1. Dec 24, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While watching a Christmas special, I was struck by the fact that time and time again, in who knows how many movies, TV programs, stories and books, we are taught from early childhood that there is magic – a Santa - in the world. Why do we do this? Why do we continually foster the notion of fantasy through early childhood only to slay those beliefs a few years later? And why in particular do we push one of the most common themes in Christmas stories; that Christmas magic requires belief?

In many homes, this belief is combined with a belief in a baby Jesus lying in a manger. Now, first of all, we all know that Jesus wasn’t really born in December, and probably at least five years earlier than the calendar indicates. We watch movies about animals talking at midnight and the Ghost of Christmas past, we sing about The Little Drummer Boy, and right along side Santa we are taught a variety of fairy tale versions of yet another belief system. But what is was perplexing to me is that even as adults, we watch the movies, we sing the songs, we hang the socks by the chimney with care, and we place a baby Jesus in a manger under a Christmas tree that happens to be an old pagan symbol.

So what is the logic in all of this? Some might argue that we seek to capture the magic of our childhood and that we want our children to feel the magic that we once felt; that we value this as part of our life experience. But I think it goes much deeper than this. Consider that along with Santa, according to Christian beliefs, faith based belief in Christ is also paramount to salvation. In fact a key lesson found in the Christian tradition is that of doubting Thomas, who had to see to believe, and who was diminished by his lack of faith. And though not an expert on other religions, I would bet that faith based belief is a key concept in nearly all religions. So Santa just parallels a more general notion that magic does exist but only if we believe it does. And I’ll go one step further. I think this lies at the heart of Xmas and Santa Claus. I don’t think we are trying to capture something lost, rather, I think we are expressing the intrinsic knowledge that “good” is real, and that something greater than ourselves does exist.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

For some, perhaps many I think that is the case. Perhaps it applies to those with a more secular way of life.

Christmas is a curious blend of pre-Christian pagan ritual and Christian mysticism, and it's become part of the culture. For some it is a spiritual ritual, while for others it is an annual ritual, and certainly there are others who do not observe it, and they may or may not observe other rituals. It is also the end of the year, and time to relax from the daily grind.

And there is a certain level of magical thinking involved - often with a hope for things to be better than they are.

4. Dec 24, 2005 #3

Evo

Wow. <sniff> Did you write that yourself? That was beautiful. <sniff>

(I'm watching White Christmas right now, can't wait for the "snow" song on the train :approve: )

5. Dec 24, 2005 #4
    I think you're right, Ivan.

6. Dec 24, 2005 #5
    Well ONE reason that the Santa tradition is continued is because it is a convenient way of making children to behave because 'Santa is watching'.

7. Dec 24, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're asking if I plagiarized a Christmas post? :biggrin: :rofl:

8. Dec 24, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

Santa's not real?!:frown::cry::uhh:

9. Dec 25, 2005 #8

Evo

Yeah, that didn't sound the way I intended it. :blushing:

10. Dec 25, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Great post, Ivan, but just a little comment:
    If you modify this to "nearly all monotheistic religions", you may be right.

When it comes to polytheistic religions, like the Greco-Roman, Shintoism and Hinduism, observance of rituals is regarded as a lot more important than personal faith.

11. Dec 25, 2005 #10
    This is why I love PF, where else would one find a disucssion on anything from a reply to a joke to why you wouldn't ever find that 2+2=3.99 with a slide rule, but more probably 4.01, to discussing why santa clause is taught to little children.

I think that children believing in santa is much like older people believing in other religions. The difference is that we know that santa doesn't exist....

*I just finished reading it* Erm, I guess you just implied what I said in a way.

Nice post though. Children are taught about Santa in order to make Christmas seem far more exciting than it already is. Now, why some people teach their kids that the easter bunny is real, that I do not know.

12. Dec 25, 2005 #11

Astronuc

:rofl: Children are taught about the Easter Bunny in order to make Spring seem far more exciting than it already is. Actually it's a vast conspiracy between the Sugar Producers, Confectionary Industry and the various national Dental Associations. Allegedly there is a similar conspiracy regarding Halloween, and somehow the Pumpkin Producers and Pie Makers got a piece of the pie :biggrin:. Children are taught about Halloween to make the end of October seem far more exciting than it really is. :biggrin:

13. Dec 25, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BTW, in case you didn't know, the classic Santa was made famous by Coca-Cola.
    [​IMG]

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35

Talk about a successful marketing concept!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  14. Dec 25, 2005 #13
    You all forgot to say "Bah Humbug"
    geez, nothing wrong with a little Christmas magic. Spread that holiday spirit.

15. Dec 25, 2005 #14
    I think its wrong to lie to your kids. It shows you don't have very much respect for them.

16. Dec 25, 2005 #15

Evo

It's not lying!!! :grumpy: Every parent "is" Santa and the Easter Bunny.

17. Dec 25, 2005 #16
    I want to meet your kids someday o:) :wink:

18. Dec 25, 2005 #17
    Their still lying about him traveling down the chime and flying in a magical slay. All you're doing is betraying your children. Children usually catch on that their is no santa at about eight and there still at an age where it can be logded in their psyche that they can't trust their parents.

19. Dec 25, 2005 #18

Evo

I don't know any children scarred by it. Parents do it for their kids because they remember how much fun they had with their parents when they were little.

How many people here distrust their parents because of Santa & the Easter Bunny?

20. Dec 25, 2005 #19
    Nah, it probably wouldn't any less fun without Santa, as long as the kids still get presents.

Scarred isn't accurate. More of a subconscious mistrust.

21. Dec 25, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember being disappointed, but really I had suspected for a very long time, you know, like a year or more! But as soon as I knew for sure, I took great pleasure in helping to continue the illusion for my younger siblings. In fact, thinking about it now...it felt more like a right of passage. It set me apart from the "little kids".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?