Santa Claus and The power of belief

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the concept of Santa and Christmas magic is ingrained in our culture and passed down through generations, despite the fact that we know it is not real. This may be due to a desire to hold onto the magic of childhood and to instill a sense of wonder and belief in something greater. It may also tie into the importance of faith in many religions, including Christianity, which also emphasizes the need to believe in order to receive salvation. Ultimately, the continuation of the Santa tradition and other holiday rituals may serve as a way to bring people together and offer a sense of hope and optimism for the future.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While watching a Christmas special, I was struck by the fact that time and time again, in who knows how many movies, TV programs, stories and books, we are taught from early childhood that there is magic – a Santa - in the world. Why do we do this? Why do we continually foster the notion of fantasy through early childhood only to slay those beliefs a few years later? And why in particular do we push one of the most common themes in Christmas stories; that Christmas magic requires belief?

In many homes, this belief is combined with a belief in a baby Jesus lying in a manger. Now, first of all, we all know that Jesus wasn’t really born in December, and probably at least five years earlier than the calendar indicates. We watch movies about animals talking at midnight and the Ghost of Christmas past, we sing about The Little Drummer Boy, and right along side Santa we are taught a variety of fairy tale versions of yet another belief system. But what is was perplexing to me is that even as adults, we watch the movies, we sing the songs, we hang the socks by the chimney with care, and we place a baby Jesus in a manger under a Christmas tree that happens to be an old pagan symbol.

So what is the logic in all of this? Some might argue that we seek to capture the magic of our childhood and that we want our children to feel the magic that we once felt; that we value this as part of our life experience. But I think it goes much deeper than this. Consider that along with Santa, according to Christian beliefs, faith based belief in Christ is also paramount to salvation. In fact a key lesson found in the Christian tradition is that of doubting Thomas, who had to see to believe, and who was diminished by his lack of faith. And though not an expert on other religions, I would bet that faith based belief is a key concept in nearly all religions. So Santa just parallels a more general notion that magic does exist but only if we believe it does. And I’ll go one step further. I think this lies at the heart of Xmas and Santa Claus. I don’t think we are trying to capture something lost, rather, I think we are expressing the intrinsic knowledge that “good” is real, and that something greater than ourselves does exist.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some might argue that we seek to capture the magic of our childhood and that we want our children to feel the magic that we once felt; that we value this as part of our life experience.
For some, perhaps many I think that is the case. Perhaps it applies to those with a more secular way of life.

But I think it goes much deeper than this. Consider that along with Santa, according to Christian beliefs, faith based belief in Christ is also paramount to salvation. In fact a key lesson found in the Christian tradition is that of doubting Thomas, who had to see to believe, and who was diminished by his lack of faith. And though not an expert on other religions, I would bet that faith based belief is a key concept in nearly all religions. So Santa just parallels a more general notion that magic does exist but only if we believe it does. And I’ll go one step further. I think this lies at the heart of Xmas and Santa Claus. I don’t think we are trying to capture something lost, rather, I think we are expressing the intrinsic knowledge that “good” is real, and that something greater than ourselves does exist.
Christmas is a curious blend of pre-Christian pagan ritual and Christian mysticism, and it's become part of the culture. For some it is a spiritual ritual, while for others it is an annual ritual, and certainly there are others who do not observe it, and they may or may not observe other rituals. It is also the end of the year, and time to relax from the daily grind.

And there is a certain level of magical thinking involved - often with a hope for things to be better than they are.

Wow. <sniff> Did you write that yourself? That was beautiful. <sniff>

(I'm watching White Christmas right now, can't wait for the "snow" song on the train :approve: )

I think you're right, Ivan.

Well ONE reason that the Santa tradition is continued is because it is a convenient way of making children to behave because 'Santa is watching'.

Evo said:
Did you write that yourself?

You're asking if I plagiarized a Christmas post? :biggrin: :rofl:

Santa's not real?!:frown::cry::uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:
You're asking if I plagiarized a Christmas post? :biggrin: :rofl:
Yeah, that didn't sound the way I intended it. :blushing:

Great post, Ivan, but just a little comment:
Ivan Seeking said:
And though not an expert on other religions, I would bet that faith based belief is a key concept in nearly all religions. .
If you modify this to "nearly all monotheistic religions", you may be right.

When it comes to polytheistic religions, like the Greco-Roman, Shintoism and Hinduism, observance of rituals is regarded as a lot more important than personal faith.

This is why I love PF, where else would one find a disucssion on anything from a reply to a joke to why you wouldn't ever find that 2+2=3.99 with a slide rule, but more probably 4.01, to discussing why santa clause is taught to little children.I think that children believing in santa is much like older people believing in other religions. The difference is that we know that santa doesn't exist...

*I just finished reading it* Erm, I guess you just implied what I said in a way.

Nice post though. Children are taught about Santa in order to make Christmas seem far more exciting than it already is. Now, why some people teach their kids that the easter bunny is real, that I do not know.

moose said:
Children are taught about Santa in order to make Christmas seem far more exciting than it already is. Now, why some people teach their kids that the easter bunny is real, that I do not know.
:rofl: Children are taught about the Easter Bunny in order to make Spring seem far more exciting than it already is. Actually it's a vast conspiracy between the Sugar Producers, Confectionary Industry and the various national Dental Associations. Allegedly there is a similar conspiracy regarding Halloween, and somehow the Pumpkin Producers and Pie Makers got a piece of the pie :biggrin:. Children are taught about Halloween to make the end of October seem far more exciting than it really is. :biggrin:

BTW, in case you didn't know, the classic Santa was made famous by Coca-Cola.
santa-coke.jpg

...The jolly elf image received a big boost in 1823, from a poem destined to become immensely popular, "A Visit from St. Nicholas," now better known as "The Night Before Christmas."

... Dozens of artists portrayed Santa in a wide range of styles, sizes, and colors, including Norman Rockwell on Saturday Evening Post covers. But it was in the 1930s that the now-familiar American Santa image solidified. Haddon Sundblom began thirty-five years of Coca-Cola Santa advertisements which finally established Santa as an icon of contemporary commercial culture. This Santa was life-sized, jolly, and wearing the now familiar red suit. He appeared in magazines, on billboards, and shop counters encouraging Americans to see Coke as the solution to "a thirst for all seasons." By the 1950s Santa was turning up everywhere as a benign source of beneficence. This commercial success has led to the North American Santa Claus being exported around the world where he threatens to overcome the European St. Nicholas, who has retained his identity as a Christian bishop and saint...
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35

Talk about a successful marketing concept!

Last edited:
You all forgot to say "Bah Humbug"
geez, nothing wrong with a little Christmas magic. Spread that holiday spirit.

I think its wrong to lie to your kids. It shows you don't have very much respect for them.

Entropy said:
I think its wrong to lie to your kids. It shows you don't have very much respect for them.
It's not lying! :grumpy: Every parent "is" Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Entropy said:

I want to meet your kids someday o:) :wink:

It's not lying! Every parent "is" Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Their still lying about him traveling down the chime and flying in a magical slay. All you're doing is betraying your children. Children usually catch on that their is no santa at about eight and there still at an age where it can be logded in their psyche that they can't trust their parents.

Entropy said:
Their still lying about him traveling down the chime and flying in a magical slay. All you're doing is betraying your children. Children usually catch on that their is no santa at about eight and there still at an age where it can be logded in their psyche that they can't trust their parents.
I don't know any children scarred by it. Parents do it for their kids because they remember how much fun they had with their parents when they were little.

How many people here distrust their parents because of Santa & the Easter Bunny?

Parents do it for their kids because they remember how much fun they had with their parents when they were little.

Nah, it probably wouldn't any less fun without Santa, as long as the kids still get presents.

How many people here distrust their parents because of Santa & the Easter Bunny?

Scarred isn't accurate. More of a subconscious mistrust.

I remember being disappointed, but really I had suspected for a very long time, you know, like a year or more! But as soon as I knew for sure, I took great pleasure in helping to continue the illusion for my younger siblings. In fact, thinking about it now...it felt more like a right of passage. It set me apart from the "little kids".

It's not lying to your kids, Entropy, it's fantasy. there is a difference. Lying would be like when your parents said they loved you.

Entropy, it's fantasy.

For the parents, yes, because they know it's fake. A fantasy is something you KNOW isn't real. But the kids think it's real, so it's lying.

I agree Tribdog. I remember understanding immediately that it was like a game.

I remember being disappointed, but really I had suspected for a very long time, you know, like a year or more!
I agree Tribdog. I remember understanding immediately that it was like a game.

You just contradicted yourself.

Entropy said:
For the parents, yes, because they know it's fake. A fantasy is something you KNOW isn't real. But the kids think it's real, so it's lying.
I'd hate to be your kid. Okay, it's a lie, but it's a harmless lie and it makes the kids happy. You ever seen the kids lined up to sit on santa's lap? They aren't the ones who need therapy later on, it's the sad kid standing in the corner all by himself not believing who keeps therapists in business.
A lie isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look at all the lies Evo and her cronies tell to the people who submit their pictures.

Entropy said:
You just contradicted yourself.

Not if you read the next sentence.

I took great pleasure in helping to continue the illusion for my younger siblings. In fact, thinking about it now...it felt more like a right of passage. It set me apart from the "little kids".

Seven years of fun [or so] for a few days, or even a day's worth of disappointment, maybe... not so bad really. But your point was about trust. I don't recall this ever being an issue.

but it's a harmless lie and it makes the kids happy

Presents make the kids happy. You think anyone would care about Santa if he didn't carry around a bag of gifts?

Evo said:
I don't even remember what age I found out that Santa wasn't real. I have no idea if it bothered me or not.
I did just last year though meet a young girl that hadn't been told yet. I think that she already knew in there somewhere but when someone had hinted at the truth she broke down in tears. She told her mom that she didn't want to talk to her and called her a lier. Ofcourse the poor girl had other issues that probably contributed to what happened but she was certainly devistated to think that her mother lied to her.

On a slightly different note one of my exes is/was absolutely obsessed with fantasy. She wanted to believe that things like magic and the like were real and it made her profoundly sad to think that they weren't. She cried when ever she watched movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings because once the suspension of disbelief while watching the movie was over the reality of it all came crashing back in on her.

tribdog said:
A lie isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look at all the lies Evo and her cronies tell to the people who submit their pictures.
That's not true, you have no idea what I think is cute. :grumpy:

TheStatutoryApe said:
I don't even remember what age I found out that Santa wasn't real. I have no idea if it bothered me or not.
I did just last year though meet a young girl that hadn't been told yet. I think that she already knew in there somewhere but when someone had hinted at the truth she broke down in tears. She told her mom that she didn't want to talk to her and called her a lier. Ofcourse the poor girl had other issues that probably contributed to what happened but she was certainly devistated to think that her mother lied to her.
On a slightly different note one of my exes is/was absolutely obsessed with fantasy. She wanted to believe that things like magic and the like were real and it made her profoundly sad to think that they weren't. She cried when ever she watched movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings because once the suspension of disbelief while watching the movie was over the reality of it all came crashing back in on her.
Ok, there are always exceptions. But I think most normal kids don't have issues. I know I didn't, like Ivan, I had already guessed and had fun playing along for my little sister and the younger neighborhood kids. My kids had no problems. The belief in Santa is something that normal kids grow out of.

lol, cute like baby monkey cute?
I do have some idea of what you think is cute. I've seen your soccer player and his washboard stomach.

tribdog said:
lol, cute like baby monkey cute?
I do have some idea of what you think is cute. I've seen your soccer player and his washboard stomach.
I have a soccer player? WHERE?? What have you done with him? :grumpy:

It might be argued that Santa is viewed an imaginary friend.

...One girl, now 7, inherited her imaginary friend, "Margarine," from her older brother. Margarine first appeared as a helper on her brother's first, scary day of preschool. The boy talked so convincingly about his little mentor, his mother thought the girl was real -- until she tried to find Margarine's mother to thank her.

Margarine became a part of family lore and later followed the boy's younger sister to school.

Some kids have as many as 13 imaginary friends at one time or another, contrary to the "Calvin and Hobbes" image of a single, faithful make-believe pal.

"Our research suggested it's more of a revolving door," Carlson said. While some pretend friends fade quietly away, others "suffer this horrible demise -- like getting run over," she said.

This kind of pretend play gives young children a chance to mull over the confusing issues of life -- a process that seems to continue in different forms as people mature...

Most kids, sooner or later, come to realize their make-believe buddies are not of this world.

In fact, Carlson said, some kids grew concerned about the researchers' grasp of reality during probing interviews.

"I've had several children sort of pull me aside during the interview and say, 'You know it's pretend, right?' "
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/202632_imaginary07.html

Entropy said:
Presents make the kids happy. You think anyone would care about Santa if he didn't carry around a bag of gifts?
you must have been a rotten spoiled brat. kids LOVE giving just as much as getting. Haven't you ever seen how happy a child is to give a present to their mom?
Kids don't put out milk and cookies for Santa because they think they'll get better presents. If kids only like Santa for the presents how do you explain Frosty the Snowman? He's loved and doesn't hand out anything.

Evo said:
Ok, there are always exceptions. But I think most normal kids don't have issues. I know I didn't, like Ivan, I had already guessed and had fun playing along for my little sister and the younger neighborhood kids. My kids had no problems. The belief in Santa is something that normal kids grow out of.
Oh I know. You asked and so I passed on the one instance I know of.
Personally I was pissed when I found out that the presents I got each year from my father that had run out on us weren't from him.
I think that the young girl I referred to had a hard time with it because her father had left her family and so she was experiencing trust issues already.
My ex; she was born with a deformed leg and the insistent desire to believe that "anything is possible" which kept her going through her surgeries and out of depression because of the things she could not do influenced her greatly.