Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Santiago Calatrava

1. Mar 3, 2006 #1
    Tonight on Charlie Rose, the second half of the program was devoted to the Spanish architect, Santiago Calatrava, Architect, sculptor and painter. I present some of his work:
    [​IMG]
    Architectural:

Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciències in Valencia
    [​IMG]

The interior of the BCE Place Galleria, Toronto
    [​IMG]

Puente del Alamillo
    [​IMG]

The Olympic Velodrome
    [​IMG]

The future transit hub at the World Trade Center site in New York City, to be completed in 2009. The roof is actually two halves that open once a year at 9-11 and remain open for the amount of time it took from the first plane strike until the towers collapsed.
    [​IMG]

The Milwaukee Art museum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

\/ This is one of my favorite images I found online, it reminds me of a magazine shoot from the 70's. It gives me the sensation of being inside a sanctuary, while outside it is a crisp cool day. The air is thick, if fills your lungs when you take a deep breath. You can taste the quality of the air. The kind of feeling you can only get on a cool fall day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The perfect contrast of the sterile and muted whites and grays with the vivid colors of life in the sculpture. It is a wonderful contrast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another wonderful photo, it gives a sense of the fluidity of the shot. The reflections on the polished tile floor gives the impression of an ocean inside the museum as well as outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More of his work can be found at:
    http://www.calatrava.com/

He is VERY impressive.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    I think if I had to go into one of those buildings very often I'd start having dreams about it.

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    Some of his sculptures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?