1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Santiago Calatrava

1. Mar 3, 2006 #1
    Tonight on Charlie Rose, the second half of the program was devoted to the Spanish architect, Santiago Calatrava, Architect, sculptor and painter. I present some of his work:
    [​IMG]
    Architectural:

Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciències in Valencia
    [​IMG]

The interior of the BCE Place Galleria, Toronto
    [​IMG]

Puente del Alamillo
    [​IMG]

The Olympic Velodrome
    [​IMG]

The future transit hub at the World Trade Center site in New York City, to be completed in 2009. The roof is actually two halves that open once a year at 9-11 and remain open for the amount of time it took from the first plane strike until the towers collapsed.
    [​IMG]

The Milwaukee Art museum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

\/ This is one of my favorite images I found online, it reminds me of a magazine shoot from the 70's. It gives me the sensation of being inside a sanctuary, while outside it is a crisp cool day. The air is thick, if fills your lungs when you take a deep breath. You can taste the quality of the air. The kind of feeling you can only get on a cool fall day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The perfect contrast of the sterile and muted whites and grays with the vivid colors of life in the sculpture. It is a wonderful contrast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another wonderful photo, it gives a sense of the fluidity of the shot. The reflections on the polished tile floor gives the impression of an ocean inside the museum as well as outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More of his work can be found at:
    http://www.calatrava.com/

He is VERY impressive.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    I think if I had to go into one of those buildings very often I'd start having dreams about it.

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    Some of his sculptures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?