Saponification time in Cold Process Soapmaking

In summary, after two weeks of curing, there is very little active lye left in soap and it is safe to use.
peppertea
Hello everyone!

I'm into home soapmaking but have no background in chemistry. I read enough about how soap is made so that I largely understand what I'm doing, but lately i got into an argument with a friend about weather or not there is still active lye in soap after ...let's say- two weeks of curing. From what I know, saponification starts at 'trace' and ends in 24-28 hours , when soaps are unmolded (if it's well insulated and it goes through gel stage), and that the purpose of the rest of the curing time is only to let the water evaporate. How much active lye can there be left after a couple of weeks of curing?

Thank you and I apologise if some other crazy soapmaker already asked that somewhere, sometime.

Happy hollydays!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is still some active lye in the soap after two weeks of curing, but it is minimal. Most of the lye is used up in the saponification process, which occurs when the fats and oils react with the lye to produce glycerin and soap molecules. After two weeks, the remaining lye will be completely neutralized by the other ingredients in the soap. There will still be some residual lye in the soap, but it will be in such small amounts that it will not be a hazard.

1. What is saponification time in cold process soapmaking?

Saponification time refers to the amount of time it takes for the oils and lye to fully react and turn into soap. This process is essential in cold process soapmaking as it ensures that the soap is safe and effective for use.

2. Why is saponification time important in cold process soapmaking?

Saponification time is important because it allows the lye to fully react with the oils, creating a chemical reaction that converts the ingredients into soap. If the saponification time is not long enough, the soap may be too harsh and irritate the skin. If it is too long, the soap may become too soft and not lather well.

3. How long does saponification typically take in cold process soapmaking?

The saponification time can vary depending on a variety of factors, such as the specific recipe and room temperature. On average, it can take anywhere from 24-48 hours for the soap to fully saponify.

4. Can I speed up the saponification process?

No, the saponification process cannot be sped up as it is a chemical reaction that takes time to occur. Trying to speed up the process can result in an unsafe and ineffective soap.

5. How can I tell when saponification is complete?

You can tell when saponification is complete by performing a "zap" test. This involves touching a small amount of the soap to your tongue and if it does not give a tingling or zapping sensation, then saponification is complete. You can also check the pH level of the soap, which should be between 8-10 for proper saponification.