Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sarah Palin's America

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/10/17/palin_clarifies_her_pro-americ.html

It seems that Palin only wishes to represent some Americans. I wonder which cities and States she considers anti-American. Could it be that by pro-American, she means white?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gee, you're trying really hard to stir up trouble, aren't ye? :rolleyes:

Please provide links supporting your allegation. If you cannot, then you really ought to withdraw the comment.

4. Oct 17, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then tell me, what did she mean? Are small town folk better Americans than city folk?

First you will have to inform me as to which States are pro-American, and which States are anti-American. I asked what she meant. And yes, I do have my suspicions.

A question is an allegation?

5. Oct 17, 2008 #4
    I think it she means people who like her cling to guns and religion. :smile:

6. Oct 17, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

She's an idiot: it's hardly worth trying to guess what she means because she probably doesn't even know herself.

7. Oct 17, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cristo, although I agree in principle, I think we have a right a clear answer as to what she means. Keep in mind that almost half of this country is ready to cast a vote that would put her one heartbeat from the Presidency. Now is our only chance to learn more about this mystery woman before, potentially, she is given the nuclear launch codes.

So far we know that her husband was a seven-year member of a group whose founder stated that he hates America - a group that wants to secede from the Union. Note that we fought a civil war over secession. She has expressed the clear intent to expand the powers of the Vice President with complete disregard for the Constitution. She even referred to the Palin-McCain ticket in one rally! She apparently sees nothing wrong with Cheney and his abuse of power. She claims experience that she clearly doesn't have. She attends extremist end-time churches where people speak in tongues.. Frankly, I think we have good reason to be very concerned about this woman and her "first dude".

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  8. Oct 17, 2008 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fearmongering now? :rolleyes:

9. Oct 17, 2008 #8
    Palin must have all options available to deal with Eyeran's nukular weapons that can wipe Israel off the map any moment now.

10. Oct 17, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Palin had a rally in Bangor, ME yesterday and drew about 6000 people. She has a solution for Maine's high rate of taxation - "The solution is to stop spending so doggone much money." What an economic powerhouse she is. We are a very rural state with lots of infrastructure to maintain, and with jobs flying out the window, tax revenues are falling. At the same time, the costs of asphalt, diesel, etc are soaring and we have had to defer badly-needed highway maintenance because we simply don't have the money.

It's appalling that she could come to the state and beg for votes with NO briefing on some of the specific challenges that we face, including paper mill closings, sawmill closings, and a practical collapse of the lobster industry, with high fuel costs, decreasing demand for lobsters, etc conspiring to drive lots of previously successful fishermen out of business. Taxes too high? Don't spend so much doggoned money! Why didn't we think of that?

11. Oct 17, 2008 #10
    That's not as far-fetched as it might sound. Wal-Mart wouldn't have gotten its start in small-town Arkansas if it weren't for the people there who hated the big store chains from New York, etc. The people who think it makes sense to call a 200,000 square-foot Wal-Mart a "neighbourhood market" are probably the sort of people Palin wants to represent.

12. Oct 17, 2008 #11
    I kind of hope McCain and Palin win just so I can have another four years of funny news broadcasts...then I remember I want there to still be an America in four years.

How does this make them better? Makes them sound incapable of making a decision based on objective values.

13. Oct 17, 2008 #12
    Palin's supporters:

:yuck:

14. Oct 17, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While I have heard her praise the flag many times, not once have I heard her defend or praise the Constitution.

15. Oct 17, 2008 #14
    The funny thing is the day before the Palin rally, RNC decided to pull out from Maine. It appears that for some reason Palin didn't get the memo from her own party, which is rapidly collapsing like a dysfunctional family.

So, above all else, this election proofs that community organizer is indeed an important asset.

16. Oct 17, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

You know, if Obama showed up here for a rally, he would have drawn tens of thousands AND he would have have made specific knowledgeable comments about not only the challenges facing our state, but he also would have been able to make comparisons to current conditions in other states. The GOP is asking us to trust an old man with no dignity or integrity remaining, and an air-head evangelical whose grasp of policy, economics, etc, might charitably be said to be on a par with that of a middle-school student. (Not a smart, informed middle-school student, mind you.)

17. Oct 17, 2008 #16

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I grew up in Nashville Tennessee in the 1940's and 50's. I went to segregated schools, and segregated churches and movies, and rode on segregated buses. I have met a lot of bigots in my time, and struggled hard not to be one.

I think I know what kind of America Sarah Palin represents: can you spell "intolerant"?

Todays paper carried a story of the head of the Chaffee Community Republican Women's group, in San Bernardino, CA, who distributed a newsletter with a picture of Barack Obama on an $10 bill adorned with fried chicken, ribs and watermelon.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008/10/obama-bucks-and.html

Diane Fedele, president of the organization said she had no racist intent. I guess she is pleading extreme imbecility.

Is this an example of the small town USA that was meant?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  18. Oct 17, 2008 #17
    I think the matter is whether we want to live in a country where knowledge and ideas are important or whether we think all that book learning is, by golly, just a bunch of elitist hogwash. In that vein, we have to ask whether we really, really value science or should we just go ahead and agree there must have been dinosaurs on Noah's ark.

It is telling that such dyed-in-the-wool conservatives as David Brooks, Kathleen Parker, Christopher Buckley, and even (in a small way) George Will have backed away from the anti-intellectualism of the Palin-McCain campaign.

How many of us knew right away what kind of "overhead projector" McCain so soundly derided? For goodness sakes, it was a star projection system (as soon as we heard $3 million, we knew) for the Adler Planetarium (long a hot-bed of cosmological radicals!).

19. Oct 17, 2008 #18
    I don't think it makes any sense either. Wal-Mart was small once but it too has become what the small-town Arkansans (?) hated when it got started.

20. Oct 17, 2008 #19

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any sort of "no true Scotsman" speech is quite disturbing. We are all Americans*, no matter what size city we live in.

* Meant to apply to US citizens, of course.

21. Oct 17, 2008 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?