Uncovering New Insights on SARS Virus Transmission

In summary, during a special SARS conference, it was discussed that virtually all infected people show SARS virus in their fecal matter, while only 50% show it in their respiratory system. This means that the virus can be transmitted through air to air, fecal to gastric passage, and fecal to air. Some of the first cases of SARS had severe diarrhea and the epidemic in Hong Kong started at an apartment building due to a sewage pipe leak and a person with severe diarrhea. The virus can survive in the air for up to 24-48 minutes, in fecal matter for 2 days, and in diarrhea fecal matter for up to 4 days. China officials knew about a severe pneumonia-like disease in food
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yesterday I was a at special SARS conference and here what I have learn and did not see on the news:

- Virtually all infected people show SARS viruse in the fecals matter only 50% show SARS viruses in the resporatory system. Therefore SARS viruse would be transmitted from air to air, fecal to gastric passage and from fecal to air.
- Some of the first cases had severe diahrea.
- The epidic in Hong-Kong started at an appartment building due to leakage of the sewage pipe and with somebody with severe diahrea. These pipe are outside the building so the leak would dry and the viruse would be blown back in the building.
- The viruse can survive in the air for a max of 24-48 hour, in fecal matter for 2 weeks and in diahrea fecal matter up to 4 weeks.
- China official new about a severe pneumonia-like disease in food handler since November 2002 and they did not notify the WHO before mid-february 2003.
- The source of the viruse would be an animal in the family of the cats (I don't remember the name).
- The viruse would of spread to animal handlers and cook that handle these animal.

It the important stuff I think has to be said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

Originally posted by iansmith
- Virtually all infected people show SARS viruse in the fecals matter only 50% show SARS viruses in the resporatory system. Therefore SARS viruse would be transmitted from air to air, fecal to gastric passage and from fecal to air.
I've heard that the virus can be spread from faeces to people via tiny faeces droplets in air, not from air to air. (Perhaps my information isn't very updated) If it can be spread by air, it might have been developed into a pandemic already.

- Some of the first cases had severe diahrea.
- The epidic in Hong-Kong started at an appartment building due to leakage of the sewage pipe and with somebody with severe diahrea. These pipe are outside the building so the leak would dry and the viruse would be blown back in the building.
I've heard that sars virus could be spread extremely fast with the presence of "super virus carrier". I've heard that the virus in the apartment building in Hong Kong has mutated and became much stronger than "ordinarly" sars virus. The death rate of sars patients who lived in that apartment building is particularly high.

- China official new about a severe pneumonia-like disease in food handler since November 2002 and they did not notify the WHO before mid-february 2003.
Yeah, the first sars patient in Hong Kong was believed to be brought by a professor from China who worked in a hospital in China and did researches on sars virus.

- The source of the viruse would be an animal in the family of the cats (I don't remember the name).
I've heard from the news that scientists found the virus in bats and other animals too. Perhaps this virus comes from mammals, not birds.

Last edited:

Originally posted by KL Kam
I've heard that the virus can be spread from faeces to people via tiny faeces droplets in air, not from air to air. (Perhaps my information isn't very updated) If it can be spread by air, it might have developed into a pandemic already.

not air to air
if not , thne wear the mouth-muffle is no use

I've heard that the virus can be spread from faeces to people via tiny faeces droplets in air, not from air to air. (Perhaps my information isn't very updated) If it can be spread by air, it might have been developed into a pandemic already.

As i said only 50% of the people with SARS have virus in their lung secretion, so air to air contamination is happening. The MD that was taking said that sometimes the transmission occurs to health workers by air to air when they were intubing a patient with SARS and respiratory distress (When people are intubates, they cough a lot because your introducing a foreign object in the throat).

The viruse can survive in the air for a max of 24-48 hour, in fecal matter for 2 weeks and in diahrea fecal matter up to 4 weeks

Found my notes, it should says 24-48 minutes, 2 days and 4 days.

As i said only 50% of the people with SARS have virus in their lung secretion, so air to air contamination is happening. The MD that was taking said that sometimes the transmission occurs to health workers by air to air when they were intubing a patient with SARS and respiratory distress (When people are intubates, they cough a lot because your introducing a foreign object in the throat).
Found my notes, it should says 24-48 minutes, 2 days and 4 days.

my place face have SRAS very serious
but what i heard from the center for disease control
SARS is not spread air to air

When the patients cough, their saliva droplets with lots of sar virus come out. It is the virus in tiny saliva droplets which infects medical staffs. It is the same in the apartment building where there were lots of sars patients in HOng KOng. The virus adhere on very tiny faeces droplets and was spread through air. The virus adhere on mediums like very tiny saliva and faeces droplets and the droplets were spread in air. I think "air to air" isn't the exact term to describe this phenomenon.

Also I have a queston. I've heard that coronaviruses can't survive at 'high' temperature, say 30 degrees celcius. Is that correct?

The source of the viruse would be an animal in the family of the cats
Civet cats. :wink:

When the patients cough, their saliva droplets with lots of sar virus come out. It is the virus in tiny saliva droplets which infects medical staffs.

It is what you call air to air (respiratory track to respiratory track)transmission as far as I know.

Civet cats.

thanks. From what the speaker said is that the civet cats are asymptomic carrier

not air to air
if not , thne wear the mouth-muffle is no use

Good point. I was actually about to mention the use of the mouth covering. Such would be the case if the virus was spread by means of air.

When the patients cough, their saliva droplets with lots of sar virus come out. It is the virus in tiny saliva droplets which infects medical staffs. It is the same in the apartment building where there were lots of sars patients in HOng KOng. The virus adhere on very tiny faeces droplets and was spread through air. The virus adhere on mediums like very tiny saliva and faeces droplets and the droplets were spread in air. I think "air to air" isn't the exact term to describe this phenomenon.

Doesn't "air to air" usually insinuate inhalation?

Not meaning to make light of a serious situation but there is a new type of SARS out there and it's called Sexy Asian Respiratory Syndrome and it describes when women are having trouble breathing when I walk into the room

1. What is SARS virus and how does it spread?

The SARS virus, or severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus, is a type of coronavirus that causes respiratory illness in humans. It is primarily spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, and can also be spread through close contact with infected individuals or touching surfaces contaminated with the virus.

2. What are some common symptoms of SARS virus infection?

Symptoms of SARS virus infection can include fever, cough, difficulty breathing, and body aches. In severe cases, it can lead to pneumonia, kidney failure, and even death.

3. How is the SARS virus different from other coronaviruses?

The SARS virus is different from other coronaviruses in that it is highly infectious and can cause severe respiratory illness. It also has a higher mortality rate compared to other coronaviruses.

4. What new insights have been uncovered about SARS virus transmission?

Recent research has shown that the SARS virus can be transmitted through asymptomatic carriers, meaning that people who do not show symptoms can still spread the virus. Additionally, certain environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can impact the survival and transmission of the virus.

5. How can we prevent the spread of SARS virus?

The best way to prevent the spread of SARS virus is to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly and avoiding close contact with individuals who are sick. Wearing masks and maintaining social distancing can also help prevent the spread of the virus. Vaccines are also available to protect against SARS virus infection.