Debunking the SARS Biotechnology Conspiracy Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the belief of a biology teacher that SARS is a product of biotechnology gone wrong, and the search for evidence to counter this idea. Some possible arguments include a recent lab experiment that accidentally created a virulent virus and the fact that the virus responsible for SARS is a coronavirus, which is more prone to mutation. The conversation also mentions the possibility of SARS being a conspiracy theory and the likelihood of it jumping from animals to humans. It is also noted that the teacher's belief may stem from a bias against biotechnology.
gamemania1986
My biology teacher who seems to hate biotechnology said that "SARS is possibly a product of biotechnology that went wrong!" and things like that, persuading the whole class to believe it. I don't know much about biotechnology/SARS but I don't think what my teacher said is true because I've never heard of it anywhere else. Can you guys tell me what facts (if any) I can use to counter his "idea"?

Thanks a lot!

Biology news on Phys.org
if could list your teacher argument that would help to know why he thinks it is a biotech experiment that went mad.

Also recently researcher have developed virulent virus in labs. this was on the news and i think its been published in Nature or Science. The experiement was actually an accident. So it migth help you teacher at beliving that the SARS is a biotech experiment that went mad.

According to the news the virus responsible for SARS is a coronaviruses. Coronaviruses are RNA virus and RNA viruses are more prone to mutation due to the enzyme reverse transcriptase. Therefore the virus that we seen now migth just be a more virulent strain of an identify virus.

Best i can do for now

The CDC (centers for disease control) and labs in Hong Kong believe SARS is a Coronavirus that spread to humans from animals (birds, I think.) It's so new there's not a lot of evidence yet though.

Unfortunately, many people who are opposed to biotechnology seem to have almost religious fervor about it, and arguing with them is quite often futile. Give it a try, but don't be surprised if you hear evidence dismissed as "government propaganda"... :)

It is inevitable that people would eventually turn this into a conspiracy theory. Pretty much every new disease gets one. Nevermind that there is no evidence to suggest it - it just sounds possible (and interesting) that it could be a conspiracy so people buy into it.

Researchers have previously synthesized a virus (almost) completely from scratch, I think it was the polio virus? So it is not a strange idea that the virus causing SARS could be a product of biotechnology, especially in this time where biological weapons are a hot debate.

But I don't think that your teacher is right in this case. In order to make a virus like this, I would think that the best way would be to combine the characteristics of two virusses. I am pretty sure that virologists/biochemists will be able to trace back the origin of the virus, whether it is recombinant or just a fluke of nature.

The theory that it jumped from animals to humans is very likely, especially since people in that part of china live very close together with animals so the opportunity is there.

There is a very interesting example actually where an algea has started to take over our seas, I will attempt to write an article on it for physicspost.com

Originally posted by gamemania1986
My biology teacher who seems to hate biotechnology said that "SARS is possibly a product of biotechnology that went wrong!" and things like that, persuading the whole class to believe it.

Glad to see that our public education system continues to hire the best and the brightest.

Don't tell me he does not accept mutation as a form of evolution too.

if SARS is the best an accident of biotech can do... imagine what nature can (hint - HIV, Ebola).

1. What is the SARS biotechnology conspiracy theory?

The SARS biotechnology conspiracy theory claims that the SARS virus was created in a laboratory as a biological weapon or for profit by biotech companies. It also suggests that the virus was intentionally released into the population.

2. Is there any evidence to support this conspiracy theory?

No. There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that the SARS virus was created in a laboratory. The virus has been extensively studied and its genetic makeup is consistent with that of a naturally occurring virus. Additionally, there is no motive for biotech companies to create and release a virus that causes harm to the population.

3. Who started this conspiracy theory?

The origin of this conspiracy theory is unclear. It has been perpetuated by individuals and groups who are anti-science or have a distrust of government and big corporations.

4. How can we be sure that the SARS virus is not man-made?

Scientists have conducted extensive research on the SARS virus and have found no evidence of human manipulation. The virus has also been found in different animal species, further supporting the theory that it is a naturally occurring virus. Additionally, the genetic makeup of the virus is consistent with that of other known coronaviruses.

5. What is the danger of believing in this conspiracy theory?

The danger of believing in this conspiracy theory is that it distracts from the real issue at hand, which is preventing and treating the spread of the virus. It also undermines the hard work and dedication of scientists who have been studying the SARS virus and working towards finding a cure. Believing in baseless conspiracy theories can also lead to further distrust of scientific evidence and hinder efforts to address future outbreaks.