Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SARS is from the stars?

1. May 23, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BBC report

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2003 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it summurize my opinion.

One unusual sequence and it is from space Wow

4. May 23, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: SARS is from the stars?

Yeh I don't get it. Why would this guy go for such an extreme position? Just a nut? Failed logic?

Is there any real evidence for this claim generally - that life on earth may have been seeded by extraterrestrial sources [eg viruses]?

5. May 23, 2003 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: SARS is from the stars?

There some analysis on space rock that show amino acid and some nucleic acid on the rock (I am not sure if I am totally rigth). So from these results people suggested that live migth be from extraterrestrial source.

There also a bacteria called Bacillus radioduran which is extremely resistance to U.V. therefore some russian scientist did some theoritical analysis and suggested that the bacteria migth evolve on a planet such as mars because the bacteria could not develop a resistance to high U.V. concentration on earth. The problem is that the U.V. resistance migth not be due to U.V. exposure but to so other mutagenesis factor.

so its as far as I know the evidence that leads to people to belive that life on earth was seeded by an extraterrstial source.

the only evidence suggest by the SARS guy is the unusually DNA but hey I see unusual stuff everyday (sometime its as if the bacteria I am working with has a brain and decide to laugh at me by not growing )

6. May 23, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: SARS is from the stars?

Maybe it's all from ET ...yes I am joking!

7. May 23, 2003 #6
    You know, there might be something to that story, and if there is, I bet it had something to do with this weird guy I saw coming out of the bar the other night. He looked just like this,

http://home.clara.net/lucypringle/photos/2002/uk02dl.html

Of course he didn't look exactly like that when I saw him, 'cause now he had a tuke pulled low down on his forehead, and he had a nose ring, and a tattoo on the side of his face, but it could have been the same guy.

8. May 23, 2003 #7
    Wickramasinghe (the guy proposing this) is kind of a nut... I liked the other researchers' opinions -- "Researchers who have been working on Sars reacted with a mixture of disbelief and ridicule. There is nothing strange about the Sars coronavirus, they said; it certainly evolved from other known viruses. One leading expert said Professor Wickramasinghe's letter "must be a joke"; another said it is simply ridiculous."

They've sequenced the SARS genome and done linkage analysis on its proteins, see http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/pdf/proteinanalysis.pdf . It's pretty obviously a relative of other coronaviruses. That a virus so similar to other coronoviruses, with the same proteins, specifically designed to succesfully infect and spread among mammals, would have been carried in from outer space instead is really just absurd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?