What is a good introductory book to understand Sartre's philosophy?

• Thread starter thomasxc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Sartre's book "Being and Nothingness" and the difficulty in understanding it. Sartre's belief in existentialism and opposition to determinism is also mentioned. The conversation also suggests reading a different book for a better understanding of Sartre's philosophy.
thomasxc
i bought Sartre's "being & nothingness" and have tried my best to comprehend it. to me it seems to be a mess,and i can make neither head nor tail of it. wikipedia didnt help much either. can someone steer me in the right direction or try to help me understand it? thanks in advance.

-Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Sartre's 'Being and 'Nothingness' is essentially a position against determinism.

determinism is what, in so many words? that term seems to get thrown around a lot with sartre as well.

thomasxc said:
determinism is what, in so many words? that term seems to get thrown around a lot with sartre as well.

You are correct in your assertion that Jean-Paul Sartre is associated with existentialism. Existentialism is, to say the least, a "base" system of beliefs that supports other types of beliefs (see ethic of Authenticity). Sartre was, in fact, as staunch supporter of existentialism. He believed that humans exist before they define themselves. This essentially means that as humans we have the ability to take initiative and shape ourselves. The key phrase associated with existentialism is "existence before essence", which sums up what I have said. Sartre wrote being and nothingness in a time of great turmoil. It was more or less of a call to the people of France to pull themselves up and truly live.

Anyways, Sartre, because of his existentialist beliefs, was opposed to the idea of determinism. Determinism, as you may have guessed by now, is more or less of the idea that we have been pre-destined, our destinies already sealed by the time we come into existence. This ties in with the precept of pre-destination used by Calvinists if I recall correctly. There is a basic guideline, perhaps I rambled.

Another fascinating existentialist was Martin Heidegger, though I must admit he is not easy to read if you are new to such texts.

yes, calvinists believed in predestination.and yes, i am new to such texts.but i figured i'd start somewhere, and learn a bit of all the different ones so that i might be able to sort of formulate my own opinion on all this existing business. and thanks for the quick replies.

thomasxc said:
yes, calvinists believed in predestination.and yes, i am new to such texts.but i figured i'd start somewhere, and learn a bit of all the different ones so that i might be able to sort of formulate my own opinion on all this existing business. and thanks for the quick replies.

thanks for confirming my thoughts on calvinism in that case

youre welcome. i recently finished a european history course, and that was a considerable chapter.

it just seems that the biggest hassle with being and nothingness is how he uses the same word in five different ways. it feels like semantics.needless to say, i read it when i want to fall asleep-it works marvelously.

1. What is Sartre's philosophy of Existentialism?

Sartre's philosophy of Existentialism is based on the idea that human existence is not predetermined by any external force or higher power. Instead, individuals have the freedom to create their own meaning and purpose in life through their choices and actions.

2. What is the concept of "Existence precedes essence" in Sartre's philosophy?

This concept refers to the belief that individuals are not born with a predetermined essence or nature. Instead, they exist first and then define themselves through their choices and actions, thus creating their own essence.

3. How does Sartre define "authenticity" in Existentialism?

Sartre believed that individuals must take responsibility for their own existence and make choices that align with their true self, rather than conforming to societal expectations or external influences. This is what he referred to as "authenticity" in Existentialism.

4. How does Sartre's philosophy of Existentialism relate to the concept of "freedom"?

Sartre believed that humans are fundamentally free beings, and this freedom is both empowering and terrifying. It is through our freedom that we are able to make choices and create our own meaning in life, but it also means that we are responsible for our actions and the consequences that come with them.

5. What is the role of "bad faith" in Sartre's philosophy?

"Bad faith" refers to the act of denying one's own freedom and responsibility by conforming to societal norms and expectations. Sartre believed that this was a common way for individuals to avoid the anxiety and burden of making their own choices. However, he argued that true authenticity and fulfillment can only be achieved by embracing our freedom and taking responsibility for our actions.