1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SAT Graphing Question

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    The Question:

The figure above shows a portion of the graph of the function f. If f(x+5) = f(x) for all values of x, then f(x) = 0 for how many different values of x between 0 and 12?

My attempt:

I have uploaded the picture of the graph so you can see what it looks like, but anyways I realize that the graph of f(x+5) is the graph of f(x) 5 units to the left, but I don't see how they can be equal to eachother. I just don't understand this question in general.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

The attachment is pending approval, so we can't see the graph. The graph of y = f(x + 5) is the graph of y = f(x) translated 5 units to the left, but that's not what your problem says. It says that f(x + 5) = f(x) for all x, which means the graph is periodic with period 5 or a period that is a divisor of 5.

If f(1) = 0, then you know that f(6) = 0 and f(11) = 0, and so on.
  4. Nov 6, 2008 #3
    Ok thanks so much that makes sense now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?