Maximizing Your Score on the SAT Math Section

In summary, the conversation revolves around taking the PSATs and the SATs and strategies for the math section. The conversation also discusses the differences between the PSAT and the SAT and the potential benefits of taking a prep course for the SAT. The speaker offers tips and advice for the math section, including not doing algebra and being wary of extreme answers. They also mention the importance of studying the weaker sections and the potential impact of taking the SAT at the beginning of senior year.
UESolarElect
Hey...i'm about to take the PSATs in a week...any tricks w. the math aspect?
I'm in calc...so i figure that'll help
thx
pat

Mathematics news on Phys.org
UESolarElect said:
I'm in calc...so i figure that'll help

It won't. :biggrin:

Seriously, the math section of the SAT covers arithmetic, algebra, and trigonometry. You should also expect 1-2 questions on very basic probability and statistics.

The best tips I can give you are these:

1. Don't do any algebra. If you have an equation, just plug the answers in and take the one that satisfies it.

2. Draw pictures for geometry questions.

3. Be wary of "extreme" answers (high or low), particulrly when words such as least and greatest are in boldface. Those bold words are there to draw your attention to the lowest and highest numerical answers, respectively.

4. The exam gets steadily more difficult as you move through a subsection of the exam (except for Grid-In questions). For instance if you are in the Problem Solving subsection of a section, you can count on the first problem being the easiest and the last being the most difficult. Just know that the first and the last problems are worth the same, so don't waste too much time on the last ones.

I used to teach for The Princeton Review, so if you have any specific questions let me know.

thx..hoping to get the National merit, so I'm busting myself to find every trick, beside just knowing the information
pat

Yes,

also take notice that he said PSAT, which isn't the SAT at all, it's only a test for mostly juniors to show how you will do on the SAT and to qualify you for the National Merit Scholar Award.

I just took it today. I missed 2 questions on the math! One of those things that you figure out after you turn it in. They were the "dumb" mistakes, like not taking into account an even number or reducing wrong.

Yeah, I hope I got the award too. But I figure since I made a couple stupid mistakes, I'm out of the running.

Paden Roder

Yeah--- I was stupid when I was a junior about the PSATS I didn't realize how much money there is associated with it... I tried in the math and just half did the other 2 so I could relax and enjoy the day off...

the result

Perfect Score in math

not even close in English and Reading

dont' worry about the math its very easy stuff... easier than even SAT
just relax

it matters more to study the area u are weekest in even if you dont' get a perfect in math you won't probably miss very many focus on the other two sections

PRodQuanta said:
also take notice that he said PSAT, which isn't the SAT at all,

I taught PSAT courses too. It's written by the same people (ETS), and draws from the same pool of problems. The only difference is that it's shorter, and it doesn't use the difficult problems. But all the SAT strategies work for the PSAT.

Well my friend is taking that one class you used to help teach tom.. BUT 1k for it =/?.. i know you can get half of that paid through aid.. but still. 500$

IS IT REALLY WORTH it.. do you think you could teach me the basics of what they taught there?.. though now with the new SAT=/

Euphoriet said:
IS IT REALLY WORTH it..

That depends on what you want, and how hard you are willing to work. Some of my students went up by 200 points overall. Is that worth a grand to you?

do you think you could teach me the basics of what they taught there?.. though now with the new SAT=/

I can offer tips and answer questions of course. But teaching the course online is a major time committment which I don't think I can make.

Unless you've got $1000, that is. :biggrin:

I'm really thinking about taking the SAT at very beginning of senior year.. would this hurt me in any way... I mean if I do bad (which I'm not planning on doing) I would still have one more chance at it... but I really plan on taking it once, just don't think this is my year.

1. What is the best way to prepare for the SAT math section?

The best way to prepare for the SAT math section is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that will be asked. It is also helpful to review foundational math concepts and strategies for solving problems efficiently.

2. Are there any specific tricks or shortcuts that can help improve my score on the SAT math section?

There are a few specific tricks and shortcuts that can be helpful on the SAT math section, such as learning how to use the calculator efficiently and using process of elimination to narrow down answer choices. However, the most important factor is understanding the underlying concepts and being able to apply them to solve problems.

3. How can I improve my time management on the SAT math section?

Time management is crucial on the SAT math section, as you only have 80 minutes to answer 58 questions. Some tips for improving time management include practicing with timed practice tests, skipping difficult questions and coming back to them later, and using a process of elimination to narrow down answer choices quickly.

4. What should I do if I encounter a question I don't know how to solve on the SAT math section?

If you encounter a question that you don't know how to solve, don't panic. First, try to eliminate any obviously wrong answer choices. Then, use any relevant information in the question to make an educated guess. If you are still unsure, mark the question and come back to it if you have time at the end.

5. How important is it to memorize formulas for the SAT math section?

While it is important to have a basic understanding of common math formulas, it is not necessary to memorize them for the SAT math section. The test will provide any necessary formulas, and it is more important to focus on understanding how to apply them to solve problems rather than simply memorizing them.