SAT II physics light question

In summary, when monochromatic light passes through a double slit, a bright fringe is formed due to a path difference of 1 "wavelength symbol". This is determined by the equation lambda/d = x/L, where lambda is the wavelength of the light, d is the distance between the slits, x is the distance of the bright fringe, and L is the distance of the screen from the slits. This means that the answer is E) 1 "wavelength symbol". The double slit does play a role in this phenomenon and the values of x and L are not necessary to determine the answer.
oceanflavored

Homework Statement

When monochromatic light passes through a double slit, a bright fringe is formed due to a path difference of
A) 1/4 "wavelength symbol"
B) 1/2 "wavelength symbol"
C) 3/4 "wavelength symbol"
D) 7/8 "wavelength symbol"
E) 1 "wavelength symbol"

please help by starting me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make at least some effort. What have you studied in class on this topic?

Start with the definitions(what do monochromatic and slit imply?) and equations to solve this problem. Also, the wavelength symbol is the greek symbol lambda.

for maxima (bright fringe)
lambda / d = x/L
where lambda is wavelength, d is distance between slits, x is distance of bright fringe, L is distance of screen from slits.

lamda = xd/L
answer is E) 1 lambda

for bright fringe, path diff is n*lambda
for dark band, it is (2n - 1)*lambda/2

cristo said:
You need to make at least some effort. What have you studied in class on this topic?

this is a question that was in my REA SAT II physics book. we never studied this in my physics class a year ago. and there's no mention of it in my REA book. or other study books i have.

spideyunlimit said:
for maxima (bright fringe)
lambda / d = x/L
where lambda is wavelength, d is distance between slits, x is distance of bright fringe, L is distance of screen from slits.

lamda = xd/L
answer is E) 1 lambda

that's what the book says the answer is.
but, I'm still really confused.
so the fact it's a double slit doesn't matter??
and that we don't know x and L?

1. What is the format of the SAT II physics light question?

The SAT II physics test typically includes multiple-choice questions, with some questions having a diagram or graph as part of the question. The light question may involve concepts such as reflection, refraction, or the electromagnetic spectrum.

2. How many light questions are on the SAT II physics test?

The number of light questions on the SAT II physics test can vary, but typically there are around 10-15 questions related to light. These questions may be spread out throughout the test or grouped together in a specific section.

3. What topics should I focus on when studying for light questions on the SAT II physics test?

Some important topics to focus on for light questions include the properties of light, such as wavelength, frequency, and speed; the behavior of light when it encounters different mediums; and the properties of lenses and mirrors. It is also important to have a good understanding of the electromagnetic spectrum and how different types of light waves relate to each other.

4. Are there any equations I should memorize for light questions on the SAT II physics test?

Yes, there are a few key equations that may be helpful to memorize for light questions. These include the equations for calculating the speed of light, the index of refraction, and the magnification of lenses and mirrors. However, it is important to also understand the concepts behind these equations and how to apply them to different situations.

5. Are there any tips for approaching light questions on the SAT II physics test?

One helpful tip for approaching light questions is to carefully read and analyze the diagrams or graphs provided with the question. These visuals can often provide important clues or information to help you solve the question. It is also important to review and practice a variety of light-related problems to become familiar with different types of questions and how to approach them.