Self-Studying for SAT II Physics: Is It Possible?

In summary, it is possible to self-study for the SAT II Physics test and score a decent score before November. From which book/internet resource should the OP study from? The book "Princeton Review" or "E-books-Share"?
ahsanxr
I want to take SAT II Physics test in November. Problem is that I don't have any prior knowledge of the subject. I'm highly interested in it and have an idea about some topics since I'm also studying Mechanics in Math.

I want to know whether it is possible to self-study for the test and score a decent score before November. Also, from which book/internet resource should I study from? I have easy access to the Barron's book, and also might be able to find Princeton Review. Here are the topics which the book covers, if any of you don't know:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SAT_II_Physics

I want to do this for 3 reasons:
1. I'm interested in Physics and want a basic and good knowledge of it.
2. The knowledge of it will help me immensely when doing the Mechanics portions of my Math and Further Math classes.
3. I'll be able to take a SAT II other than Math IIC and it will help me meet the basic requirement of SAT IIs for many universities (2 subjects)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanics, E&M, and modern physics in just 3 months?

Even at the basic level, cramming all those stuff in a short amount of time (especially when you have no prior knowledge of the subject) will be, in the least, tough.

And you're not going to "learn physics" just by cramming all the materials and taking a test.

Well I'm not saying that I want to get an 800 in it. Just want a respectable score and a good basic knowledge of the subject.

Oh, and I have a strong mathematical background and have a good idea of some of the stuff in mechanics, if that makes any difference.

Looking at practice tests as someone who also is interested in the SAT Physics Test, pretty much most of the stuff there is common sense ideas.

It definitely is possible to learn physics in 3 months and get 800. There's not a whole lot of memorization, so as long as you have an intuitive feel for the concepts in high-school physics, teaching yourself shouldn't be that hard. The SAT II physics tests mainly for speed: there are 75 questions and it's hard to finish all of them on time, so both knowing and understanding formulas is a must. That said, the questions themselves aren't complicated. There are no long derivations, no 40-line calculations, no need to solve systems with 7 linear equations, etc.

One thing to note is that getting anything less than 13 questions wrong will pretty much guarantee a 800. Of course, loads of other students will also be getting 800, but College Board doesn't seem inclined to up their standards.

ideasrule said:
so as long as you have an intuitive feel for the concepts in high-school physics, teaching yourself shouldn't be that hard

Well the OP said that he hasn't had much exposure to physics before, other than a little bit of mechanics, which made me kind of skeptical a bit.

I haven't actually taken the test before, but by looking at the questions, they do seem pretty basic.

I got the Princeton Review book today and it seems like a really good book for learning the concepts.

And yeah according to the stats College Board has released 9% of the students get 800 in Physics, and even with omitting about 31 questions you can still score around 700, so that definitely takes some load off.

And I don't exactly have 3 months. More like 70 days. The test is on November 9. I'll start studying tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

1. Can I self-study for the SAT II Physics exam?

Yes, it is possible to self-study for the SAT II Physics exam. However, it requires dedication, commitment, and a strong understanding of the subject material.

2. How long does it take to self-study for the SAT II Physics exam?

The amount of time it takes to self-study for the SAT II Physics exam varies for each individual. It depends on your current knowledge of the subject, your study habits, and how much time you can devote to studying each day. On average, it can take anywhere from 3-6 months to adequately prepare for the exam.

3. What resources are available for self-studying for the SAT II Physics exam?

There are a variety of resources available for self-studying for the SAT II Physics exam, such as review books, practice tests, online resources, and study guides. It is important to choose resources that align with the format and content of the exam.

4. What are the best study strategies for self-studying for the SAT II Physics exam?

Some effective study strategies for self-studying for the SAT II Physics exam include creating a study schedule, reviewing key concepts and formulas, practicing with past exams, and seeking help from online resources or a tutor if needed.

5. Is self-studying for the SAT II Physics exam recommended for everyone?

Self-studying for the SAT II Physics exam is not recommended for everyone. It is best for individuals who have a strong understanding of the subject and are self-motivated. If you struggle with the subject or have difficulty staying on track with self-studying, it may be beneficial to seek out a tutor or take a formal prep course.