Is the SAT Math an Accurate Predictor of Engineering and Physics Success?

In summary: No, I don't agree that it's not a fair test. I think it's a fair test that measures skills that are important for success in college.
SpaceDreamer
How do you guys think the SAT, manily the math section accurately judges ones ability? I have heard people say if you get below x, usually 600 to 700 you will never succeed in engineering or physics. I would think its more on how much you study and that the SAT is there more tovtrick you any take your money. What do you engineers and physicists think of it? Is it an accurate predictor of ones ability or not?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the SAT math sections test your knowledge of and the ability to apply mathematical concepts which are typically taught in high school maths classes. Therefore, your mark indicates your knowledge of and your ability to apply what you have been taught in high school maths classes. It's a short-term indicator, meaning that if you work hard and learn all the concepts after the test, you will get more marks on the SAT math section if you then take the test.

It's not an accurate predictor of intelligence, that's for sure. It's just an accurate predictor of how well you will do in college intro math classes if you don't work hard in the summer before freshman year and learn all the concepts by yourself.

Most people I know find the math part of the SAT very very very easy regardless of if they went into physics \ math or humanities etc. so I don't think it says much about your intelligence.

WannabeNewton said:
Most people I know find the math part of the SAT very very very easy regardless of if they went into physics \ math or humanities etc. so I don't think it says much about your intelligence.

I know! The reading sections test more difficult concepts than the math section on the sat.

failexam said:
I know! The reading sections test more difficult concepts than the math section on the sat.

I always found the reading section to be easier, sometimes on the math part I didn't know what they were asking for and I would find the wrong thing. Now the writing section is hard.

SpaceDreamer said:
I always found the reading section to be easier, sometimes on the math part I didn't know what they were asking for and I would find the wrong thing. Now the writing section is hard.

Was your high school academic background geared more towards english rather than math? Did you always find english easier than math?

failexam said:
Was your high school academic background geared more towards english rather than math? Did you always find english easier than math?

No, on the contrary english was my worst subject and hated it. I always loved to read since I was young and have read countless books which is probably why I find it easier. Our math department in HS is also no the greatest.

Writing is not very hard once one knows how to study for it. Yes, this section can easily be studied for, much unlike the Critical Reading section.
Try Silverturtle's guide - Google it. You may well see some progress.

Yep. I agree with failexam as to what the math section tests. Note that then it tests applications, it does it in a way that is not similar to what one was used to high school. It shouldn't make things much harder though. Try taking a practice test for the math section at your own speed and from there, you'll be able to judge which of the concepts being tested you need to go over again.

I won't get into whether the SAT is a good predictor of college success. However, a better score can only help. (unless one has hit the 2200-2300 mark...in which case, *I* would find retaking redundant)

It's an alright predictor, but definitely not an excellent one. I would think that a significant gap (200+ points) would indicate a clear difference in needed attention and effort for first level math classes in college, but that's just because it's more of a general intelligence indicator. It's not an excellent general intelligence indicator, but an indicator nevertheless.

One should also consider that the skills which the SAT tests are ones which one would find useful if not required, to succeed in college.

Having said that, some sections, like the Writing section's multiple choice questions, are overly meticulous in that one would get away with a few misplaced commas or using the word "but" right after a semicolon when writing a college paper. (that sentence may well have some extra commas!)

I can understand why any college admissions officer would expect any prospective social science or humanities major (for e.g) to score well in the critical reading section.

I've seen people claim it's not a fair test. Would you agree to that? If so/not, then why?

I scored poorly in the ACT's math section. I'm a junior in aerospace engineering. Standardized tests don't mean anything.

Angry Citizen said:
I scored poorly in the ACT's math section. I'm a junior in aerospace engineering. Standardized tests don't mean anything.

Lol come on now we're on a physicsforum! Scientific method! Haha clearly the SATs didnt predict your strong mathematical ability, but that doesn't mean that therefore the conclusion is that SATs are totally useless.

Angry Citizen said:

Or you're not good at answering lots of questions in a very limited time frame. Or you didn't learn much math in high school. Or the exam bored you. Or you have a short attention span and couldn't care any less. Or a combination of that. Or something else entirely!

It's not that cut and dry. The other issue to consider is where the OP would like to go to college. Regardless, if one has a US residence permit, there's lots of places that could provide one with a great education at a reasonable cost (SUNY/CUNY, for instance), many of which probably won't be too fussy with scores, essays and other arbitrary things.

Mépris said:
Or you're not good at answering lots of questions in a very limited time frame. Or you didn't learn much math in high school. Or the exam bored you. Or you have a short attention span and couldn't care any less. Or a combination of that. Or something else entirely!

It's not that cut and dry. The other issue to consider is where the OP would like to go to college. Regardless, if one has a US residence permit, there's lots of places that could provide one with a great education at a reasonable cost (SUNY/CUNY, for instance), many of which probably won't be too fussy with scores, essays and other arbitrary things.

I am a US citizen, so schooling will be in the US, as far as colleges I know I can get into them, it was just a question I had. I believe that any devices I have could be made up by studying more most likely,many the time constraint was an issue. I do good in regular math classes, like 90+.

Double post.

SpaceDreamer said:
How do you guys think the SAT, manily the math section accurately judges ones ability? I have heard people say if you get below x, usually 600 to 700 you will never succeed in engineering or physics.

It's going to be tough, and SAT math does seem to correlate well with outcome in engineering classes.

I would think its more on how much you study and that the SAT is there more tovtrick you any take your money. What do you engineers and physicists think of it? Is it an accurate predictor of ones ability or not?

Sure, precisely because it is an indicator of how much you study. If you get a low score on the SAT, and you study more, and get a better score, that bodes well for how well you will do in college. If you slack off, that's a bad sign.

OP, check this and this out.

Experiment a little. The goal is to ace the SAT math AND to figure out what kind of studying strategies work best for you. Working in chunks works great for me.

1. What is SAT Math Prediction Ability?

SAT Math Prediction Ability is the ability to accurately predict or estimate your performance on the math section of the SAT exam. It involves understanding the types of questions and concepts that will be tested and being able to anticipate which questions you may struggle with and which ones you will excel at.

2. How can I improve my SAT Math Prediction Ability?

To improve your SAT Math Prediction Ability, it is important to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the SAT math section. This can be done by practicing with official SAT practice tests and reviewing concepts and strategies. Additionally, developing strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills can also help improve your prediction ability.

3. Is SAT Math Prediction Ability the same as SAT Math score?

No, SAT Math Prediction Ability is not the same as your SAT Math score. While your prediction ability may give you an idea of how you may perform on the exam, your actual score will depend on a variety of factors including your test-taking skills, time management, and overall understanding of the material.

4. Can SAT Math Prediction Ability be improved over time?

Yes, SAT Math Prediction Ability can be improved over time with practice and familiarity with the SAT math section. As you continue to study and familiarize yourself with the content and format of the exam, you may see an improvement in your ability to predict your performance.

5. Is SAT Math Prediction Ability important for success on the SAT?

Yes, having good SAT Math Prediction Ability can be beneficial for success on the SAT exam. It can help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus your studying on areas that need improvement. However, it is not the only factor that determines success on the SAT. It is important to also have a strong understanding of the material and good test-taking skills.