Solve Sat Math: Find # Passengers on Bus Now

In summary, the bus starts with 0 passengers before picking up x passengers at the first stop and y passengers at the second stop. Then, 2/3 of the passengers exit at the third stop, leaving behind (3x+3y)/3 passengers. Finally, 2 passengers get on at the fourth stop, bringing the total number of passengers to (3x+3y+4)/3.
hkhero
At the first stop on its route, a bus picks up x passengers. At the second stop, y passengers get on the bus. At the third stop, 2/3 of the passengers exit the bus. At the fourth stop, 2 passengers get on the bus. How many passengers is the bus carrying right now?
a) (3x+3y+4)/3
b) (2x-2y-4)/3
c) (6-2x-2y)/3
d) (x+y+6)/3
e) (3x+2y+6)/3

I'm jux wondering hwo can u do this by using PLUG INS... thanks a lot... btw the answer is D.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In my humble opinion, you should just figure it out directly, without resorting to some trick.

But if you're dead set on plugging things into solve the problem... then do it by plugging things in. :tongue: If you're having problems, then show us what you've done, and where you're stuck!

thatZ wt i did:
for ppl whoz orignally, i put 20 for that, then for x i put 3, and for y i put 4.
so first stop itz 20+3,
second stop itz 23+4,
third 27 * (1/3) = the ppl whoz left in the bus
fourth 9+2
so the total number is 11, but i couldn't find the answer... help! i think i have a problem about setting the original number of the bus.

for ppl whoz orignally, i put 20 for that
Ah, that's your problem. The bus shouldn't have any passengers on board before it starts servicing its route!

so it should be 0 for the orignally passenger?

Before the bus picks up x passengers, it should have zero on board. Otherwise, it kind of defeats the point of having a first stop.

I highly recommend you solve it by seeing how many passengers there must be in terms of x and y directly, otherwise you're going to be using a weak method that will only fail you later (or if it's not multiple choice)

1. How do I solve for the number of passengers on a bus using SAT math?

To solve for the number of passengers on a bus using SAT math, you will need to first understand the problem and identify the necessary information. Then, you can use algebraic equations and logic to set up and solve the problem.

2. What information do I need to solve for the number of passengers on a bus using SAT math?

The information needed to solve for the number of passengers on a bus using SAT math may vary, but typically you will need to know the total number of passengers on the bus, the number of passengers who have gotten off the bus, and the number of passengers who have gotten on the bus since the last stop.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve for the number of passengers on a bus using SAT math?

No, SAT math does not allow the use of calculators. You will need to use mental math and basic algebraic equations to solve the problem.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to solve for the number of passengers on a bus using SAT math?

There are no specific shortcuts or tricks for solving this type of problem, but familiarizing yourself with common algebraic equations and practicing with similar problems can help you improve your problem-solving skills.

5. Is it important to show my work when solving for the number of passengers on a bus using SAT math?

Yes, it is important to show your work when solving for the number of passengers on a bus using SAT math. This not only helps you keep track of your steps and avoid errors, but also shows the grader your thought process and reasoning skills, which can earn you partial credit even if your final answer is incorrect.