Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who recently took the SATs and was disappointed with their math score. They are seeking advice on how to improve their math score and the other speaker suggests practicing with practice tests and looking at practice books for test-taking strategies. The other speaker also shares their own experience of improving their math score through practice. They mention that the SAT Math is less about knowledge and more about test-taking strategies and that timed practice can be helpful. Finally, the other speaker shares their own experience of taking the SAT and getting a high score.
anthonych414
Hello everyone, I'm currently in high school and will be applying to universities this summer. I recently took my SATs and, although I did pretty well on the english sections (Writing=650 and Reading=600), I was extremely disappointed by my maths score (640). Now I'm not generally weak in maths (I have a 91% in Calculus) but for some reason I seem to make the silliest of mistakes in SAT math. SO my question is : Is there anything I can do to improve my maths score? And if so what should I do to improve?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was disappointed with my math score the first time I took it too. I bought a book of practice tests and took 4 or 5 of them. My math score improved 100 points.

The thing is about SAT Math, is that there are people who get 5s on AP Calculus tests but bomb the SAT Math. The reason is a lot of it is less about whether you know the stuff (which you do have to) and more about test-taking strategies. With this in mind, I would also recommend looking at Practice books, they can definitely help.

I took it last in 1959 or so but the same principles probably apply now. It is a timed test, and a short answer test, so practice helps. I was on the math team at my school and we practiced for those contests by taking lots of standardized tests and timing ourselves.

I took the SAT once and got over 795/800. (I recall it as 797, but I am told that is not now a possible score.)

I understand the importance of standardized test scores for college admissions. It is great that you did well on the English sections, but it is understandable that you are disappointed with your math score. First of all, it is important to recognize that the SAT math section tests a specific set of skills and strategies that may differ from what you have learned in your calculus class. Therefore, it is crucial to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the SAT math section through practice tests and review materials.

One strategy for improvement is to identify your weak areas in math and focus on improving them. This could involve reviewing basic concepts, such as algebra and geometry, and practicing with specific types of questions that you struggle with. You may also want to consider seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group to receive personalized instruction and support.

Another important aspect of improving your math score is to practice time management and test-taking strategies. This includes pacing yourself during the test, skipping difficult questions and coming back to them later, and utilizing the process of elimination to narrow down answer choices.

Lastly, it is important to stay confident and positive. Making silly mistakes is common on standardized tests, but it is important to not let them discourage you. Stay focused and determined, and with practice and the right strategies, I am confident that you can improve your SAT math score. Good luck!

What is "Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement"?

"Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement" is a comprehensive guide designed to help students improve their SAT math scores. It provides strategies, tips, and practice problems for students to use in order to increase their understanding and mastery of the math concepts tested on the SAT.

Who can benefit from using "Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement"?

Any student looking to improve their SAT math score can benefit from using "Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement". This guide is particularly useful for students who struggle with math or have a lower math score compared to their other SAT subject scores.

How can "Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement" help students improve their SAT math score?

"Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement" provides a variety of strategies and tips for students to use in order to improve their SAT math score. These strategies include time management techniques, problem-solving methods, and content review. The guide also includes practice problems and explanations to help students apply these strategies and improve their understanding of math concepts.

Is "Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement" suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

Yes, "Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement" is suitable for all levels of math proficiency. The guide covers a range of math topics, from basic arithmetic to more advanced algebra and geometry. It also provides strategies that can be applied by students with varying levels of math proficiency.

Will using "Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement" guarantee a higher SAT math score?

While "Boost Your SAT Math Score: Strategies for Improvement" provides effective strategies and tips, it cannot guarantee a higher SAT math score. The success of using this guide depends on the individual student's effort and dedication in applying the strategies and practicing the concepts. However, many students have found success in improving their SAT math score after using this guide.