Exploring Factors Affecting Electric Shock While Exiting a Car

In summary, the factors least likely to have a significant effect on the size of an electric shock received when getting out of a car are the material of one's clothes and the distance one slides across the seat. Other factors such as the part of the car touched when getting out, humidity levels, and whether or not the engine is running can affect the charge and potentially decrease the shock. The least rest mass among the given options is the photon.
**Mariam**

Homework Statement

1)a student decides to investigate the electric shock she received when she gets out of her car. Which of the following factors least likely to have a significant effect on the size of the shock?
A. The material of her clothe
B. The distance she slides across the seat when getting out
C. The part of the car she touches when she gets out
D. The humidity of the air
E. Whether or not the engine is running

2) which has the least rest mass?
Electron
Photon
Quark
Proton
Neutron

Homework Equations

I don't really understand the questions, but probably no equations needed cause it's only concepts
Maybe for second question, Erest=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

As I mentioned, I have no clue

Physics news on Phys.org
**Mariam** said:

Homework Statement

1)a student decides to investigate the electric shock she received when she gets out of her car. Which of the following factors least likely to have a significant effect on the size of the shock?
A. The material of her clothe
B. The distance she slides across the seat when getting out
C. The part of the car she touches when she gets out
D. The humidity of the air
E. Whether or not the engine is running

2) which has the least rest mass?
Electron
Photon
Quark
Proton
Neutron

Homework Equations

I don't really understand the questions, but probably no equations needed cause it's only concepts
Maybe for second question, Erest=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

As I mentioned, I have no clue
What causes the shock?

berkeman said:
What causes the shock?
Maybe the fact that the car is a conductor , so inside conductor there is no charge but on the surface there is?

**Mariam** said:
Maybe the fact that the car is a conductor , so inside conductor there is no charge but on the surface there is?
No, don't over-think this problem. You can get that kind of shock pretty much anywhere. Like when you pull on a wool pull-over sweater and touch a door knob. What kind of shock is that? What causes it? You can read about it at wikipedia, and I bet you'll be able to answer the question then. :smile:

berkeman said:
No, don't over-think this problem. You can get that kind of shock pretty much anywhere. Like when you pull on a wool pull-over sweater and touch a door knob. What kind of shock is that? What causes it? You can read about it at wikipedia, and I bet you'll be able to answer the question then. :smile:

Ok, it's static electricity that builds up on your body from car seat.

So A and B are ruled out.
I also think whether can affect the charge, cause if more water /humidity means less electric shock.

Is it correct until now?

**Mariam** said:
Ok, it's static electricity that builds up on your body from car seat.

So A and B are ruled out.
I also think whether can affect the charge, cause if more water /humidity means less electric shock.

Is it correct until now?
Yes, good! :smile:

berkeman said:
Yes, good! :smile:
I think it's E then

Likes berkeman
**Mariam** said:
I think it's E then
Looks right.

1. How can I prepare for the SAT Physics 2 MCQ?

To prepare for the SAT Physics 2 MCQ, it is important to review key concepts in physics, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. You can also take practice tests and review past SAT Physics 2 exams to become familiar with the format and types of questions asked.

2. Do I need to have taken a specific physics course to do well on the SAT Physics 2 MCQ?

No, the SAT Physics 2 MCQ is designed to test your general knowledge and understanding of physics concepts. However, having taken a high school physics course can give you a solid foundation and make studying for the exam easier.

3. How many questions are on the SAT Physics 2 MCQ?

There are 75 multiple-choice questions on the SAT Physics 2 exam. These questions are divided into 5 sections, each with 15 questions, and you have 60 minutes to complete the exam.

4. Is a calculator allowed on the SAT Physics 2 MCQ?

Yes, you are allowed to use a calculator on the SAT Physics 2 MCQ. However, keep in mind that the calculator may not be necessary for every question and you should be familiar with solving problems without relying on a calculator.

5. How is the SAT Physics 2 MCQ scored?

The SAT Physics 2 MCQ is scored on a scale of 200-800. Your raw score, which is the number of questions you answered correctly, is converted to a scaled score based on the difficulty of the questions. There is no penalty for guessing, so it is always worth it to answer every question.