Solving for x in n + n^(1/2) + n^(1/3) = 76

• Thread starter Kushal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about positive integers and an equation involving powers. The speaker found it difficult to approach the question and tried to simplify the powers and express the answer choices in terms of x and y. Another person suggests starting with x=64 and then using inspection to find the answer. The conversation concludes with an apology for misreading the answer and a joke about sharing in the "loot".
Kushal

Homework Statement

let x and y be positive integers and n = x^y
If n + n^(1/2) + n ^(1/3) = 76, then x cannot equal
A. 64
B. 16
C. 8
D. 4
E. 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i really don't know how to approach this question. i tried simplifying the powers and write them in terms of x and y, e.g. x^y + x^(y/2) + x ^(y/3) = 76 and i expressed the answers as powers of 2 but i couldn't find a way out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by letting x=64. Then by inspection it is clear that for y=1, you get 76. Then try to express 64 as integer powers of the other answer choices. If you do that then you will find the one answer choice that doesn't work by exhausting the answer choices that do work.

2, 4 and 8 can be expressed as integer powers of 64. but actually the answer is 8 but not 16... :S

Kushal said:
2, 4 and 8 can be expressed as integer powers of 64. but actually the answer is 8 but not 16... :S

And how exactly did you decide that? Since 82= 64, taking x= 8, y= 2 obviously does satisfy the equation and x= 8 is not the answer.

awww... I'm terribly sorry!

i misread the answer off the book...thanks a loot for helping

Do we get to share in the loot?

ok, loot = lot! ;)

1. What is the equation "n + n^(1/2) + n^(1/3) = 76" used for?

This equation is used to solve for the value of x in a mathematical expression involving different powers of a number n.

2. How do I solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x, you can use algebraic methods such as isolating the variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side.

3. Can this equation be solved using a calculator?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation by entering the values of n and evaluating the expression on the left side of the equation.

4. Are there any limitations to this equation?

Yes, there may be limitations to this equation depending on the values of n used. For example, if n is a negative number, the equation may not have a real solution for x.

5. Why is this equation important in science?

This equation is important in science because it allows us to solve for unknown variables and make predictions based on mathematical models. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to solve complex problems and make accurate calculations.