1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SAT writing test topic

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    hi, i had my SAT exam today. The topic was: Can the past influence the present?

there was an example i included in the essay, which now i'm feeling unsure about. I talked about the holocaust (past event) and the recent apology of Angela Merkel to the jews (present). and i also talked about the Australian prime minister taking measures to restore the integrity of the australian natives who were victims of many atrocities.

can these be taken as examples of past events influencing the present?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    Yes. They are also examples of the present acting on the future.

4. May 3, 2008 #3

5. May 5, 2008 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

That was seriously the topic? You could have mentioned how you sharpened your pencil earlier and were hence able to answer the question, a clear proof that the past can influence the present.

6. May 5, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They aren't looking for very deep, factual information with these types of questions. The whole point is to show you can write a persuasive argument with proper grammar, spelling, organization, etc. Yes, you could have written it on sharpening your pencil earlier. They aren't trying to stump you on the topic, just give you something to write about.

7. May 5, 2008 #6
    very funny :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?