SAT Writing: Can the Past Influence the Present?

In summary, the topic for the SAT exam was whether the past can influence the present. The conversation included examples of past events, such as the Holocaust and the treatment of Australian natives, having an impact on the present. The present also has the power to shape the future, as shown by the recent apology of Angela Merkel and actions taken by the Australian prime minister. The importance of proper writing skills and organization in answering such questions was also mentioned.
Kushal
hi, i had my SAT exam today. The topic was: Can the past influence the present?

there was an example i included in the essay, which now I'm feeling unsure about. I talked about the holocaust (past event) and the recent apology of Angela Merkel to the jews (present). and i also talked about the Australian prime minister taking measures to restore the integrity of the australian natives who were victims of many atrocities.

can these be taken as examples of past events influencing the present?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. They are also examples of the present acting on the future.

That was seriously the topic? You could have mentioned how you sharpened your pencil earlier and were hence able to answer the question, a clear proof that the past can influence the present.

They aren't looking for very deep, factual information with these types of questions. The whole point is to show you can write a persuasive argument with proper grammar, spelling, organization, etc. Yes, you could have written it on sharpening your pencil earlier. They aren't trying to stump you on the topic, just give you something to write about.

very funny :)

1. How does the past influence the present in SAT Writing?

The past can influence the present in SAT Writing in various ways. One of the main ways is through the reading passages, which often contain historical or cultural references that can help students understand the context of the passage and answer questions correctly. Additionally, past experiences with writing and grammar rules can also impact a student's performance on the SAT Writing section.

2. Can studying past SAT exams help improve my writing skills?

Yes, studying past SAT exams can be a useful tool in improving writing skills. By analyzing previous exams, students can identify common patterns and types of questions, as well as practice applying specific grammar and writing rules. This can help them become more familiar and comfortable with the format and expectations of the SAT Writing section.

3. Is it important to know the historical context of a passage in the SAT Writing section?

Knowing the historical context of a passage in the SAT Writing section can be beneficial, but it is not always necessary. While some passages may contain historical references, the focus is typically on evaluating a student's writing and grammar skills, rather than their knowledge of history. However, understanding the context can provide helpful context clues and aid in comprehension.

4. Can past writing mistakes affect my score on the SAT Writing section?

Past writing mistakes may affect a student's score on the SAT Writing section, as the exam is designed to assess their writing skills. However, it is important to note that the SAT Writing section also evaluates a student's ability to recognize and correct errors, so it is possible for a student to still receive a high score even if they have made past writing mistakes.

5. How can I use my past writing experiences to my advantage on the SAT Writing section?

Drawing on past writing experiences can be helpful in preparing for the SAT Writing section. By reflecting on previous writing assignments and identifying areas for improvement, students can better focus their studying and practice specific skills that may be tested on the exam. Additionally, using past essays and writing samples as practice can also help students become more confident and comfortable with the writing portion of the SAT.