Troubleshooting SATA Drive Installation Issue

In summary, the drive is not being detected by Windows. There are possible solutions, but they are not clear. The drive is a SATA 2 hard drive, and the motherboard is a MSI 661FM3. Windows XP Professional SP2 should have included all latest drivers.
exequor
I just bought a sata drive for my computer and i connected everthing. i am trying to install windows on this drive. the drive is detected and everything but windows installation does not detect it and as a result the installation process is cancelled. i even turned off the primary ide interface. any suggestions for solving this problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What exactly does it say? Is it not finding the drive or just not finding a partition? Did you partition it yet? What kind of hard drive is it? For some hard drive configurations you have to load the appropriate drivers when the windows installation starts.

it occurred to me that I should try installing linux instead, and that's just what I did with no problems. so i'll probably try to figure out windows sometime later.

is either 2 problem if I am not wrong? Your motherboard supports sata hard drive? 2nd this i suggest you got to the bios mode and detect your hard disk and then trying installing windows by fully reformating the hard disk.

well in the bios there isn't anything like a primary sata drive, it is just ide related stuff. however i installed ubuntu linux just fine.

Is the SATA drive connected to the motherboard directly or to an add-in card. If it is connected to the motherboard directly, it must show up in "boot order". If not, it will be viewed as a raid card and you have to have that selected in the "boot order" menu.

What motherboard do you have?

It is connected directly to the motherboard. I have a MSI 661FM3 motherboard.

Windows does not have sata drivers, you need to supply those during the installation by hitting F6 when asked for 3rd party drivers.

This is how i installed linux and windows on my sata disk.
Note : Your bios should have facility to run your sata in both ide and raid mode.

1. Disconnect all other drives if you have any at all.
2. Start your computer and go to bios and set your sata disk in IDE mode
3. Install windows. It should happily detect your sata disk now.
4. Install your linux after this, so that grub detects the windows partitions and stuff.
5. Once you are done installing both the OSes, restart your computer and goto bios and set the sata disk to RAID mode. (Do not connect the other drives as of yet.)
7. After setting to RAID mode, check whether the grub is getting loaded from the SATA disk.
8. If the grub got loaded successfully in step 7, then simply connect your other drives and enjoy your new speedy OS running on SATA.

-- AI
Some issues i had to face at times.
1. If your windows crashes at times, the grub may not get detected (just hoping it doesn't happen to you as well). In that case, just disconnect the other drives and just let sata be connected. Restart the PC, and check whether the grub is loaded. Mostly it would, shut down the system and then connect your other drives and restart, it should be fine.
2. Now even after disconnecting all drives and restarting the PC, the grub doesn't get loaded, then at this point, switch to IDE mode and restart. This time it should definitely load the grub. Once it does, restart the PC, switch back to RAID mode. Check if grub gets loaded. It will. Then connect all your drives back and restart and run the PC.

:p I know this is all fiddly, but its happening to me, and i am not able to put my finger on the exact cause of this.

-- AI

Tenali I don't think that my board allows the running of the sata drives in the dual raid-ide mode so i'll have to find a floppy drive (can't believe i have to use that thing) and try what Triss recommended.

Triss said:
Windows does not have sata drivers, you need to supply those during the installation by hitting F6 when asked for 3rd party drivers.
Are you sure? Windows XP Professional SP2 should have included all latest drivers.

I think he's right because I was using a sp2 disk and it did not have the drivers. I did get it to work after finding a floppy drive.

1. What is the most common cause of SATA drive installation issues?

The most common cause of SATA drive installation issues is a loose or faulty connection. Make sure that the SATA cable is securely connected to both the drive and the motherboard, and that the power cable is also securely connected to the drive.

2. Why is my computer not recognizing the SATA drive after installation?

This could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure that the SATA drive is properly formatted and partitioned. If it is a new drive, it may need to be initialized before it can be recognized by the computer. Additionally, check the BIOS settings to ensure that the SATA ports are enabled. Finally, the drive may be defective and may need to be replaced.

3. How do I troubleshoot a SATA drive that is not showing up in the BIOS?

If the SATA drive is not showing up in the BIOS, first check that it is properly connected and the cables are secure. You can also try switching to a different SATA port on the motherboard. If the drive still does not show up, it may be a compatibility issue with your motherboard. Check the manufacturer's website for any BIOS updates that may address this issue.

4. What should I do if my computer is freezing during the SATA drive installation process?

If your computer freezes during the installation process, it could be due to a faulty or incompatible SATA drive. Try using a different drive or checking for any updates for your current drive. You can also try disconnecting any other drives and only connecting the SATA drive you are trying to install.

5. Is it possible to install multiple SATA drives on one computer?

Yes, it is possible to install multiple SATA drives on one computer. Each drive will need to be properly connected and configured in the BIOS. Make sure to also properly format and partition each drive before using it. Additionally, make sure that your power supply can support the additional drives.