Satelite how far from center of earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the location of a satellite in its orbit after a velocity increase, as part of a Hohmann transfer. The formulas for energy, speed, radius, and angular momentum are mentioned, and the process for determining the orbit parameters is explained. The potential energy of the satellite is also calculated.
ChinToka
This problem troubles me since three days and I don´t know a way to solve it:

A satelite is in a circular parking orbit 6.98x10^6m from Earth. To initiate a Hohmann transfer, a rocket gives it an accelerating thrust so that its speed is increased to 8300m/s. How far from the center of Earth will the satelite be when it reaches its apogee?

What I need is the formula(s) so I can do it by myself

Physics news on Phys.org
ChinToka said:
This problem troubles me since three days and I don´t know a way to solve it:

A satelite is in a circular parking orbit 6.98x10^6m from Earth. To initiate a Hohmann transfer, a rocket gives it an accelerating thrust so that its speed is increased to 8300m/s. How far from the center of Earth will the satelite be when it reaches its apogee?

What I need is the formula(s) so I can do it by myself
I'm not going to quote the formulas, but if you are learning about elliptical orbits you should know something about the connection between orbit parameters and the energy and angular momentum of a satellite. You are given enough information to find the energy, speed, radius, and angular momentum for the circular orbit. I am assuming the thrust is directed tangent to this orbit, but you need to veryify that. I also assume that the velocity change will be nearly instantaneous so that the new velocity will be perpendicular to the radial position vector. The new speed will have an associated total energy and angular mometum that will determine the shape of the new orbit.

If the new velocity is, as I suspect, perpendicular to the radial postion vector to the satellite, it will be the highest velocity the satellite ever achieves, and the location of the satellite immediately after the velocity increase will be the point of closest approach in its new orbit. In other words the satellite will be at perigee. It may be that "Hohmann transfer" implies some constraint on the direction of the new velocity. It is not something I am familiar with. If the new velocity is not perpendicular to the position vector, it will may more difficult to find the new angular momentum. However, once you have found the new angular momentum and energy you have what you need to determine the orbit parameters.

Let´s check if I have the right formulas

Energy: My guess is that the satelite has potential energy P_E=1/2mv^2
Speed: I don´t have a clue :cry: I don´t think s=d/t is the right one
Radius: w=2pi/T
Angular Momentum: L=I*w

So the potential energy would be 1/2(5.97x10^24)(8300)^2 = 2.0563665x10^32J

Am I right so far?

Last edited:

1. How far is a satellite from the center of the Earth?

The distance of a satellite from the center of the Earth varies depending on the type of satellite and its orbit. On average, a satellite in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) is approximately 400 kilometers (250 miles) from the center of the Earth, while a satellite in Geostationary Orbit (GEO) is about 36,000 kilometers (22,000 miles) away.

2. Why do satellites orbit around the Earth?

Satellites orbit around the Earth because of the gravitational force between the Earth and the satellite. This force, known as centripetal force, keeps the satellite in a stable orbit around the Earth.

3. How fast do satellites travel around the Earth?

The speed of a satellite depends on its altitude and type of orbit. Satellites in LEO typically travel at speeds of around 7.8 kilometers per second (4.8 miles per second), while those in GEO travel at speeds of around 3 kilometers per second (1.9 miles per second).

4. Can satellites fall to Earth?

Yes, satellites can fall to Earth if they lose their orbit or if they are intentionally brought back down to Earth. When a satellite falls back to Earth, it typically burns up in the atmosphere due to friction, but some larger pieces may survive and fall to the ground.

5. How long can a satellite stay in orbit?

The lifespan of a satellite depends on its design and the altitude of its orbit. Satellites in LEO can stay in orbit for a few years to a couple of decades, whereas those in GEO can remain operational for up to 15 years or more.