1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satelite in EQUATORIAL orbit

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An earth's satelite is in equatorial orbit at 352,000 km above earth. What is the orbital velocity (m/s) of the satelite (4 sig figs)

2. Relevant equations
    g1d1^2=g2d2^2 to find gravity at the height of the satellite

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know what an equatorial orbit is, i tried solving it as if it was a circular orbit but that didn't work. My guess was that equatorial means it goes around earth once per year, but no idea...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Equatorial orbit just means one above the equator.
    The equation you are looking for is Kepler's third law - it will give you the period of the orbit.
    Then from the distance you can work out the circumference and so the speed.

hint - you are given an altitude but the orbit depends on the radius, from the centre of the earth

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3
    so kepler's 3rd law is T1^2=R1^3
    T2^2 R2^3

so T2 is the period, R1 is radius of earth, and R2 is radius of my orbit? what is T1 then?

5. Dec 3, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Kepler's law is T^2 [tex]\propto[/tex] r^3

You should be able to find an equation in your text book or on wikipedia involving G and the Earth's mass

6. Dec 3, 2009 #5
    so my equation will be T^2[tex]
    \propto[/tex] 358370000^3? im getting a really low answer and according to my teacher it is wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook