Orbital Velocity of Equatorial Satellite at 352,000 km

In summary, to find the orbital velocity of an Earth's satellite in equatorial orbit at 352,000 km above Earth, you can use Kepler's third law. This law states that the period of the orbit squared is proportional to the radius of the orbit cubed. Using this law and the given altitude, you can calculate the orbital velocity of the satellite.
cortozld

Homework Statement

An Earth's satelite is in equatorial orbit at 352,000 km above earth. What is the orbital velocity (m/s) of the satelite (4 sig figs)

Homework Equations

g1d1^2=g2d2^2 to find gravity at the height of the satellite

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what an equatorial orbit is, i tried solving it as if it was a circular orbit but that didn't work. My guess was that equatorial means it goes around Earth once per year, but no idea...

Physics news on Phys.org
Equatorial orbit just means one above the equator.
The equation you are looking for is Kepler's third law - it will give you the period of the orbit.
Then from the distance you can work out the circumference and so the speed.

hint - you are given an altitude but the orbit depends on the radius, from the centre of the earth

so kepler's 3rd law is T1^2=R1^3
T2^2 R2^3

so T2 is the period, R1 is radius of earth, and R2 is radius of my orbit? what is T1 then?

Kepler's law is T^2 [tex]\propto[/tex] r^3

You should be able to find an equation in your textbook or on wikipedia involving G and the Earth's mass

so my equation will be T^2[tex]
\propto[/tex] 358370000^3? I am getting a really low answer and according to my teacher it is wrong

1. How is a satellite placed in equatorial orbit?

A satellite is placed in equatorial orbit by launching it from a location close to the Earth's equator and giving it enough speed to reach a specific altitude where it can maintain a stable orbit around the Earth.

2. What are the advantages of placing a satellite in equatorial orbit?

One advantage of placing a satellite in equatorial orbit is that it will have a fixed position relative to the Earth's surface, making it easier to communicate with and track. Additionally, it allows for a wider coverage area and can provide continuous observation of a fixed point on the Earth's surface.

3. How long does a satellite typically stay in equatorial orbit?

The lifespan of a satellite in equatorial orbit can vary, but on average it can stay in orbit for 5-15 years depending on its design and purpose. After this time, it may need to be replaced or boosted to a higher orbit to continue functioning.

4. Can a satellite in equatorial orbit be moved to a different orbit?

Yes, a satellite in equatorial orbit can be moved to a different orbit through the use of thrusters or other propulsion systems. This is often done to extend its lifespan or to change its position for a specific purpose.

5. How are satellites in equatorial orbit affected by the Earth's rotation?

Satellites in equatorial orbit are not affected by the Earth's rotation because they are already moving at the same speed as the Earth's surface. This is known as geostationary orbit, where the satellite's orbital period matches the Earth's rotation period, allowing it to stay in a fixed position relative to the Earth's surface.