How Far is the Satellite from Earth?

Thank you for your help.In summary, the radius of the satellite's orbit can be found using the formula d = sqrt((GMm)/F), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, m is the mass of the satellite, and F is the force experienced by the satellite. After solving for d, the radius was found to be approximately 12,600 kilometers.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

A 320kg satellite experiences a gravitational force 800N. What is the radius of the satellite's orbit?

Homework Equations

G m1m2 / d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with

800N = (G(320kg)(5.98(10^24)kg) / d^2

After some algebra and rounding I ended up with d = 40,000 km. Is that reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
when I put 40,000 km into the original equation and solve for the force I get around 79.77N

what value did you use for G?

I think the standard for any calculations in classical mechanics is kg and meters. So perhaps if you try 40,000,000m.

I used 6.67 x 10 ^-11 for G.

Shameless bump. Still need help.

I kept trying again and again but I am getting 12k kilometers

[itex]d = \sqrt{\frac{GMm}{F}}[/itex]

yes?

so [itex]d = \sqrt{\frac{(6.67*10^{-11}N*(\frac{m^{2}}{kg^{2}}))(5.98*10^{24}kg)(320kg)}{800 N}} = 1.26*10^{7} m[/itex]

maybe you can point out where our calculations differ? I might be doing something hilariously incorrect.

No, you're right. I re-did the calculation again and paid proper attention to parenthesis this time. I'm just not calculator savvy at all.

1. What is the definition of "satellite orbit distance"?

The satellite orbit distance refers to the distance between a satellite and the center of the object it is orbiting, usually a planet or moon.

2. How is satellite orbit distance measured?

Satellite orbit distance is typically measured using units of length, such as kilometers or miles, and can be determined using various methods such as radar, laser ranging, or by tracking the satellite's position from the ground.

3. What factors affect satellite orbit distance?

The main factors that affect satellite orbit distance include the mass and gravitational pull of the object it is orbiting, as well as the speed and direction of the satellite's initial launch.

4. Can satellite orbit distance change over time?

Yes, satellite orbit distance can change over time due to a variety of factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational pull from other objects, and changes in the satellite's speed or direction.

5. Why is satellite orbit distance important?

Satellite orbit distance is important because it determines the stability and trajectory of a satellite's orbit, as well as its communication and data collection capabilities. It also plays a crucial role in ensuring that satellites do not collide with other objects in space.