1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satelite Tracking

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    I am completely lost. I am taking a course in Space Systems Engineering for Career Advancment. I have been asked to predict (without a program/software) when I will be able to see a satelite from a given lat, long from earth. I know the altitude is 350KM and I also know the inclination angle. It is in a circular orbit so I know what the average speed is. What I dont know is where to go next. Everytime I start I get lost - how do I handle spinnig earth, the woble the earth has from moon, etc. I am not looking for the solution to be given to me but hopefully some websites, books etc that I can read and learn to understand the procedure. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2
    Try Amsat.

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Amsat is the amateur satelite spotters organistation http://www.amsat.org/ has a lot of useful articles and formulae.

Most of the secondary effects you mention have a very small contribution to the apparent position of the satelite - I wouldn't worry about them yet.
    The important thing is to get a good intuitive picture of what inclination / declination / right ascension / alt-az mean. A small toy globe can really help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?