Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Satelite Tracking

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    I am completely lost. I am taking a course in Space Systems Engineering for Career Advancment. I have been asked to predict (without a program/software) when I will be able to see a satelite from a given lat, long from earth. I know the altitude is 350KM and I also know the inclination angle. It is in a circular orbit so I know what the average speed is. What I dont know is where to go next. Everytime I start I get lost - how do I handle spinnig earth, the woble the earth has from moon, etc. I am not looking for the solution to be given to me but hopefully some websites, books etc that I can read and learn to understand the procedure. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2
    Try Amsat.

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Amsat is the amateur satelite spotters organistation http://www.amsat.org/ has a lot of useful articles and formulae.

Most of the secondary effects you mention have a very small contribution to the apparent position of the satelite - I wouldn't worry about them yet.
    The important thing is to get a good intuitive picture of what inclination / declination / right ascension / alt-az mean. A small toy globe can really help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook