1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite and gravitation

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A satellite with mass m orbits a planet of mass M in a circular path with radius r and velocity v. Due to some internal technical failure, the satellite breaks into two, similar parts with mass m/2 each. In the satellite's frame of reference, it appears the two parts move radially, in opposite directions, along the line connecting the original satellite and the planet's center, each with velocity v0/2. I am expected to show that right after the technical failure, each of the two parts has a total energy equal to -3GM/16r and angular momentum equal to (m/2)√(GMr), wrt the planet's center.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The total energy of each of the two parts should be, I believe: Etot = mv02/16 - GmM/(2r). Now, isn't angular momentum preserved despite the failure? However, why isn't the angular momentum zero if the two parts are moving in opposite directions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi peripatein! :smile:
    yes :smile:
    you're misreading the question …

they are moving in opposite directions in the rest-frame of the satellite

imagine a rod moving sideways, and two beads moving with equal speeds away from each other along it …

the actual motions of the beads are both diagonally forwards :wink:

4. Jan 15, 2014 #3
    The velocity of the the CoM remains v, right? And I know that wrt that CoM, each part moves at +-v0/2, right? Ergo, the velocity of each part wrt to the planet's center should be the sum of the CoM's velocity (which I know) and the velocity of the respective part wrt the CoM (which I also know), correct?

5. Jan 15, 2014 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Jan 15, 2014 #5
    Don't I need some sort of relation between v and v0? I am unable to obtain that through conservation of angular momentum though.

7. Jan 16, 2014 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i think vo and v are suposed to be the same

8. Jan 16, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. v is the original tangential velocity. v0 is the radial velocity with which the two move apart.

9. Jan 16, 2014 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They also have the KE of the original tangential velocity, v.

10. Jan 16, 2014 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i think vo and v are supposed to be the same :smile:

11. Jan 16, 2014 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, you mean equal, which is not quite the same as same :biggrin:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted