Maximizing and Minimizing Distance of a Bullet Fired from a Satellite

In summary: Therefore, the angular momentum is the same at both P and Q. This means that you should set ##mva = mvr##. Then you get the correct answer.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an Earth satellite revolving in a circular orbit and a gun aimed towards the Earth. A bullet is fired from the gun with a muzzle velocity of v0/2. The task is to calculate the maximum and minimum distances of the bullet from the center of the Earth during its subsequent motion, neglecting resistance from cosmic dust and the recoil of the gun. The solution involves using conservation of angular momentum at points P and Q, where P is the point where the bullet is fired and Q is the point where the distance is maximum or minimum
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

An Earth satellite is revolving in a circular orbit of radius 'a' with velocity 'v0'. A gun is in the satellite and is aimed directly towards the earth.A bullet is fired from the gun with muzzle velocity v0/2.Neglecting resistance offered by cosmic dust and recoil of gun,calculate maximum and minimum distance of bullet from the center of Earth during its subsequent motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Orbital speed of satellite is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{a}}[/itex]

Initial velocity of the bullet [itex]v_{i} = \sqrt{{v_o}^2+(\frac{v_0}{2})^2} = \frac{\sqrt{5}v_{0}}{2}[/itex]

Let P be the point at which bullet is fired and Q be point where distance is maximum/minimum.

Applying conservation of angular momentum at P and Q

[itex]mv_{i}a=mvr[/itex]

or , [itex]v = \frac{v_{i}a}{r} = \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}\frac{av_0}{r}[/itex]

Applying conservation of mechanical energy at P and Q

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m{v_i}^2 - \frac{GMm}{a} = \frac{1}{2}m{v}^2 - \frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]

Solving the equations , I get [itex]3r^2-8ar+5a^2 = 0 [/itex] which gives r =5/3a and a .

The answer i am getting is incorrect .

The correct answer given is 2a and 2a/3 .

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tanya Sharma said:

Homework Statement

An Earth satellite is revolving in a circular orbit of radius 'a' with velocity 'v0'. A gun is in the satellite and is aimed directly towards the earth.A bullet is fired from the gun with muzzle velocity v0/2.Neglecting resistance offered by cosmic dust and recoil of gun,calculate maximum and minimum distance of bullet from the center of Earth during its subsequent motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Orbital speed of satellite is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{a}}[/itex]

Initial velocity of the bullet [itex]v_{i} = \sqrt{{v_o}^2+(\frac{v_0}{2})^2} = \frac{\sqrt{5}v_{0}}{2}[/itex]

Let P be the point at which bullet is fired and Q be point where distance is maximum/minimum.

[itex]mv_{i}a=mvr[/itex]

or , [itex]v = \frac{v_{i}a}{r} = \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}\frac{av_0}{r}[/itex]

Applying conservation of mechanical energy at P and Q

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m{v_i}^2 - \frac{GMm}{a} = \frac{1}{2}m{v}^2 - \frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]

Solving the equations , I get [itex]3r^2-8ar+ {\color{red}{5a^2}} = 0 [/itex] which gives r =5/3a and a .
Check your algebra for that last term in your quadratic. Otherwise you've done fine up to that point.

Likes 1 person
Hi gneill...

Sorry...I couldn't find any algebraic error .I redid the calculations . Maybe I am committing the same mistake again .

I keep on getting r=5a/3 and a .

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi gneill...

Sorry...I couldn't find any algebraic error .I redid the calculations . Maybe I am committing the same mistake again .

I keep on getting r=5a/3 and a .

Can't fix what we can't see...

Can you elaborate your derivation of the quadratic a bit?

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m\frac{5}{4}\frac{GM}{a} - \frac{GMm}{a} = \frac{1}{2}m\frac{5}{4}\frac{a^2}{r^2}\frac{GM}{a} - \frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{5}{8a}-\frac{1}{a} = \frac{5}{8}\frac{a}{r^2}-\frac{1}{r}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{-3}{8a} = \frac{1}{8r^2}(5a-8r)[/itex]

[itex]3r^2-8ar+5a^2 = 0[/itex] which gives [itex]r=5a/3 ,a[/itex]

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m\frac{5}{4}\frac{GM}{a} - \frac{GMm}{a} = \frac{1}{2}m\frac{5}{4}\frac{a^2}{r^2}\frac{GM}{a} - \frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]
The LHS looks fine. But the velocity used on the RHS should be the velocity as obtained via the conservation of angular momentum:

##r \cdot v = a \cdot v_o## {angular momentum depends on the velocity component perpendicular to the radius vector}

##v = \frac{a}{r} v_o##

## v^2 = \left( \frac{a}{r} \right)^2 v_o^2## where: ##~~~v_o^2 = \frac{GM}{a}##

Likes 1 person
Thanks gneill :smile:

Here's the source of your error:

Tanya Sharma said:

[itex]mv_{i}a=mvr[/itex]

The radial component of velocity does not contribute to angular momentum. This means that firing the gun doesn't change the bullet's orbital angular momentum.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the "satellite bullet problem"?

The "satellite bullet problem" refers to a theoretical scenario in which a satellite in orbit is hit by a high-speed object, such as a piece of space debris or a meteorite. This collision can cause significant damage to the satellite or even destroy it completely.

2. How common are satellite collisions caused by high-speed objects?

Satellite collisions caused by high-speed objects are relatively rare, but they do occur. According to NASA, there have been over 250 collisions with satellites since the beginning of the space age in 1957.

3. What are the potential consequences of a satellite bullet problem?

The potential consequences of a satellite bullet problem include damage or destruction of the satellite, disruption of important communication or navigation systems, and the creation of additional space debris that could pose a threat to other satellites in orbit.

4. How do scientists and engineers protect satellites from high-speed objects?

Scientists and engineers use a variety of techniques to protect satellites from high-speed objects. These include designing satellites with stronger materials and shielding, implementing collision avoidance maneuvers, and actively tracking and monitoring potential debris in orbit.

5. What are some strategies for mitigating the issue of space debris and the satellite bullet problem?

Some strategies for mitigating the issue of space debris and the satellite bullet problem include implementing stricter regulations for launching and disposing of satellites, developing technologies to remove debris from orbit, and designing satellites with built-in self-destruct mechanisms to prevent them from becoming hazardous debris in the future.