Calculating Energy Requirements for Satellite Placement in Circular Earth Orbit

In summary, my friend and I are having a hard time figuring out the answer to a question about how much energy is needed to place a 2.0 x 10^3 kg satellite in circular Earth orbit, at an altitude of 5.0 x 10^2km above the surface of the earth. We figure that the energy needed would be equal to the energy of the satellite in orbit minus the energy of the satellite on Earth's surface, but we get different answers depending on what our equation for total energy is. We get 8.8 x 10^9 J. using calculus, and 6.7 x 10^10 J. using my method.
rocketboy
Hey everyone,

The following question is giving my friend and I a really hard time. My work is shown below.

'what is the total amount of energy needed to place a 2.0 x 10^3 kg satellite in circular Earth orbit, at an altitude of 5.0 x 10^2km above the surface of the earth?

Here are all the numbers needed to carry out the problem:

M = 5.8 x 10^24 kg (mass of earth)
m = 5.0 x 10 3 kg (mass of satellite)
r1 = 6.38 x 10^6 m (radius of earth)
r2 = 5.0 x 10^5 m + 6.38 x 10^6 m (altitude plus radius of earth)
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 N/kg. (Earth's gravitational field strength)

I figured that the energy needed would be equal to the energy of the satellite in orbit minus the energy of the satellite on Earth's surface...giving thus:

E(needed) = -1/2(GMm/r2) - (-GMm/r1)

where did I go wrong?

Thx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you have r2 as 500m instead of 500 km.
Or, is that a typo ?

uh...oops...lol, thanks man. yea that should be 500 km. i'll edit it out in the first post.

alright, but it still gives me the wrong answer...the correct one is 6.7 x 10^10 J.

rocketboy said:
E(needed) = -1/2(GMm/r2) - (-GMm/r1)
Just noticed, where did the -1/2 come from ? is that another typo ?

the equation for total energy is -1/2(GMm/r2) is it not?

rocketboy said:
alright, but it still gives me the wrong answer...the correct one is 6.7 x 10^10 J.
Hmm, I got 8.8 x 10^9 J.
I'll check my working.

rocketboy said:
the equation for total energy is -1/2(GMm/r2) is it not?
To be honest, I've never seen that expression.
I used calculus and got,
E(needed) = GMm(1/r1 - 1/r2)

Interesting...using my method I got a similar answer to yours.

I'm starting to think the answer given to me is wrong. Thanks a lot for all your help man!

1. What is the satellite energy problem?

The satellite energy problem refers to the issue of powering satellites in orbit. Satellites require a constant supply of energy to function, but traditional energy sources such as fossil fuels are not feasible in space. This means that alternative energy sources must be used to power satellites.

2. Why is the satellite energy problem important?

The satellite energy problem is important because satellites play a crucial role in modern society. They are used for communication, navigation, weather forecasting, and many other purposes. Without a reliable and sustainable energy source, these vital services could be disrupted or even lost.

3. What are the current solutions to the satellite energy problem?

Currently, the most common solution to the satellite energy problem is the use of solar panels. These panels convert sunlight into electricity, providing a consistent source of energy for satellites. Other potential solutions being explored include nuclear power and energy harvesting from space.

4. What are the challenges in implementing alternative energy sources for satellites?

One of the main challenges in implementing alternative energy sources for satellites is the high cost and complexity of designing and launching new systems. There are also technical challenges, such as finding ways to efficiently store and transmit energy in space, and ensuring the safety and reliability of these systems.

5. How can we address the satellite energy problem in the future?

In the future, advancements in technology and space exploration may provide new solutions to the satellite energy problem. Research and development in areas such as energy storage, transmission, and harnessing new energy sources could help address the challenges currently faced in powering satellites in orbit.