1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite & Gravity

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It is proposed to place a communications satellite in a circular orbit rounf the equator at a height og 3.59 x 10^7m above the earth's surface. Find the period of revolution of the satellite in hours and comment on result.

Values given:
    Radius of Earth: 6.37 x 10^6m
    Mass of Earth: 5.98 x 10^24kg
    Gravitational Constant: 6.67x10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2

2. Relevant equations

Not sure which one you can you, but i think two different ones have to be used

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the only question which i couldn't answer, and when i tried several ways out, it got very far away from result. the answer should be :24 hrs
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

You know that the centripetal accelration is provided by the gravitational force.

mr(omega)^2 = GMm/r^2

SO you can calculate omega, the angular velocity.

Then you should have an equation relating the period tn the angular velocity.
  4. Jan 20, 2007 #3
    thx, i'll try it out. If i get wrong result, i'll post my working to see what's wrong
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?