1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite in an orbit around Eart

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A satellite in an orbit around Earth has velocities between Vmin=V-V0 and Vmax=V+V0. Find the eccentricity of the orbit.

2. Relevant equations
    where mu = reduced mass = m1m2/m1+m2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know all this formulas for eccentricity, but they all involve disctances/or energy, but not velocities! I don't even know how to start solving this.... Any help/hints?

Thank you very much in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may use conservation of angular momentum to relate the speed at aphelion to the speed at perihelion. Recall, [itex] {\vec L} = {\vec r} \times {\vec p} [/itex]. Since at aphelion and at perihelion the motion is perpendicular to the position vector, you get that [itex] r_{min} v_{max} = r_{max} v_{min} [/itex]. Since [itex] r_{min} = a(1-e) [/itex] (*if* I recall correctly) and [itex] r_{max} = a(1+e) [/itex] , you get a simple equation relating the max and minimum speeds. You will get a simple expression for the eccentricity in terms of V and V_0.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?