Satellite Motion and Electric Fields

In summary, the period of an Earth satellite is related to the radius of its orbit by the equation T^2 = A R^3. The moon's orbit and the orbit of a geostationary satellite are related by the expression RM = K Rg. The value of K is found to be 3.04. A constant potential difference is applied between two conducting plates creating a uniform electric field. At time t=0, the upper plate starts to move towards the lower plate, causing the electric field strength to increase. This results in the charged sphere accelerating towards the positive plate. The variation of the electric field strength with time can be graphed as a straight line through the origin. The period of a geostationary
KatieKangaroo
The period T of an Earth satellite is related to the radius R of its orbit by the equation T^2 = A R^3 where A is a constant. The moon may be assumed to move in a circular orbit of radius RM about earth. The period of the moon's orbit is 28 days. The radius of the orbit of a geostationary satellite about Earth is Rg. The orbital radii are related by the expression: RM = K Rg
Find the value of K.
I found K to be 3.04 but am not sure if i have done it correctly. Can anyone help?

Also, a constant potential difference is applied beteen two conducting plates creating a uniform electric field. A very small negatively charged sphere is introduced between the plates. It is found that the values of the weight of the sphere, the charge on it and the electric field between the plates are such as to cause it to remain stationary. At time t=0 the upper plate starts to move with uniform velocity towards the lower plate. The potential difference is kept constant, and the plates remain parallel throughout the motion.
Sketch a graph to show the variation of the electric field strength E between the plates with time t. As E = voltage/distance, I drew a straight line through the origin. Is this correct?
Describe what happens to the charged sphere while the upper plate is moving.
I have said that the charged sphere would accelerate towards the positive plate as the electric field strength would be increasing, because the electric force no longer balances with the charge and the weight of the sphere. Don't think this is correct though. Can anyone suggest how I would answer this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me out?

I don't know how to do this, but I took a guess.

I assumed that something moving in an orbit equal to the Earth's Radius would have a period, T, equal to 24 hrs, or 1 day. Is that correct ?

Assuming that's correct then ...

Tg² = ARg³
1 = ARg³
A = 1/Rg³

therefore,

T = (R/Rg)³
=========

when R = Rm,

T² = (Rm/Rg)³
28² = (K)³
K = 9.2208
========

But that value is the square of 3.04, your value.
Did you square the 28 when you did your calculation ?

Fermat said:
I assumed that something moving in an orbit equal to the Earth's Radius would have a period, T, equal to 24 hrs, or 1 day. Is that correct ?

That isn't necessarily true. However, "geostationary" means stationary with respect to the Earth, so a geostationary satellite will have an orbital period of 24 hours, whatever its orbital radius.

Thanks for the update :smile:

Well, 23 hours 56 minutes and... 4 seconds is it? But close enough!

Kepler's Law has the distance ratio cubed = the period ratio squared.
your period ratio is 28, so the distance ratio should be cuberoot(784).

The Electric Field at the start of the motion is NOT zero, but some E.
The strength does increase linearly at first, doubling as the distance is halved.
as time goes by, to 3/4 of the time till the plates touch, E = 4 E_o .
By the time the plates would touch the E-field would be infinite.

Yea, the Electric Force (which must be up) would become stronger than
the (downward) gravity Force, so the ball accelerates upward (toward + plate)

thank you all for your help

1. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit by moving at a high enough speed to counteract the force of gravity. This speed is known as the orbital velocity and is calculated based on the satellite's distance from the Earth and the mass of the Earth. Additionally, satellites are equipped with thrusters or use the Earth's magnetic field to make small adjustments to their trajectory and maintain their orbit.

2. Can satellites be affected by electric fields?

Yes, satellites can be affected by electric fields. Electric fields are created by the Earth's ionosphere and can cause disturbances in the satellite's orbit. This is especially true for satellites in low Earth orbit, as they are closer to the ionosphere and are more likely to experience electric field interference. Satellite designers take electric fields into account when planning and executing orbital maneuvers.

3. How do electric fields affect satellite communication?

Electric fields can affect satellite communication by causing signal interference or disruption. When a satellite passes through an area with a strong electric field, it can cause noise or distortion in the signals being transmitted to and from the satellite. This can lead to disruptions in communication and can be mitigated by using advanced communication technologies and designing satellites with electric field interference in mind.

4. What is geostationary orbit and how is it maintained?

Geostationary orbit is an orbit where a satellite stays in the same position relative to the Earth's surface. This is achieved by placing the satellite at a specific distance from the Earth's surface, known as the geosynchronous orbit, and following the Earth's rotation. To maintain this orbit, satellites use thrusters and other propulsion systems to make small adjustments to their trajectory and counteract the effects of gravity and other external forces.

5. How are electric fields used in satellite propulsion?

Electric fields are used in satellite propulsion through a method called electrodynamic tether propulsion. This involves using a long, electrically charged tether to interact with the Earth's magnetic field and generate thrust. This technology is still in development but has the potential to greatly reduce the amount of fuel needed for satellite propulsion, making it a more efficient and sustainable method.