Satellite Motion: Calculate Speed & Time to Orbit Earth

In summary: G is the gravitational constant, mE is the mass of the Earth, r is the radius of the orbit, and T is the period of the satellite in secondsIn summary, to find the speed of a satellite orbiting the Earth at a height of 200 KM in a circle of radius 6570 km, you can use the equation v = √(G*mE/r), where G is the gravitational constant, mE is the mass of the Earth, and r is the radius of the orbit. To find the time taken to complete one revolution, you can use the equation t = d/v, where d is the circumference of the orbit and v is the velocity of the satellite. Alternatively, you can use the equation
SS2006
A satellite orbits the Earth at a height of 200 KM in a cirlce of radius 6570 km. Find the speed of the satellite and the time taken tocomplete one revolution. Assume teh Earth's mass is 6.0 X 10 exp 24.
(Hint: The gravitation force provides the centripetal force)

i found Velocity using:
v = square root of gravity constant * m central / r

but they want the time, what can i use
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
try using d = vt
therefore, t = d/v

you found the velocity, and you have the radius of its circular path.

so 6570/7.8
gives 842 seconds i assume? dividign b 60 just gives 14
the answer is 88 minutes

The d mentioned by rocketboy is the circumference of the orbit, not the radius of orbit.

mezarashi said:
The d mentioned by rocketboy is the circumference of the orbit, not the radius of orbit.
yea, sorry for not making that more clear. The 'd' I mentioned above is the total distance covered by the satellite. So if you have the radius of its circular path, then you need to find the circumference of this circle. This circumference is the distance that the satellite has travelled.

Once you have this distance, you can find the time taken using the equation I mentioned above, which you should know from your basic kinematics lessons.

Alternatively you could use [tex]G\frac{m_E}{r^2} = \frac{4\pi^2r}{T}[/tex]

1. How do satellites stay in orbit around the Earth?

Satellites stay in orbit around the Earth due to a balance between its forward motion, which is caused by its initial launch velocity, and the gravitational pull of the Earth. This results in a state of constant freefall around the Earth, known as an orbit, where the satellite continuously falls towards the Earth but never actually reaches it due to its high speed.

2. How is the speed of a satellite calculated?

The speed of a satellite can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM / r), where v is the speed, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth. This formula is known as the orbital velocity formula.

3. How long does it take for a satellite to orbit the Earth?

The time it takes for a satellite to orbit the Earth, also known as its orbital period, can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(r³ / GM), where T is the orbital period, r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth, and G and M are the same values as in the previous formula. This formula is known as Kepler's third law.

4. Can the speed and time of orbit of a satellite be changed?

Yes, the speed and time of orbit of a satellite can be changed by altering its orbit. This can be done by firing the satellite's thrusters to either increase or decrease its speed, and therefore change its orbital period. Additionally, the shape and inclination of the satellite's orbit can also be changed to affect its speed and time of orbit.

5. How do scientists use satellite motion calculations in their research?

Scientists use satellite motion calculations to track and predict the movements of satellites in space. This is important for various applications, such as communication, navigation, and remote sensing. Additionally, satellite motion calculations can also help scientists study and better understand the Earth, its atmosphere, and other celestial bodies in our solar system.