Effects of Varying Satellite Heights on Orbit Motion

I will try to figure it out and answer the question.In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of different heights of satellite orbits around the Earth on their motion. It is mentioned that the closer a satellite is to the Earth, the stronger the force of Earth's gravitational field, which could potentially cause the satellite to slowly get closer to the Earth and crash. The conversation also mentions a lack of textbook or relevant equations provided for this topic, but a link is given for further research on orbital velocity.
Riccardo K
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
Satellites orbiting the Earth are often put into orbit at different heights around the planet. What affect will this have on the motion of the satellite and how exactly would the motion of a very high orbit satellite differ from one neared to the Earth?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The closer the satellite to the Earth the stronger the force of Earth's Gravitational Field. If the gravitational force is greater than the Forward Motion Force wouldn't the satellite slowly get closer to the Earth and then Crash?

Thanks for any help provided

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you don't have any "Relevant Equations"? I don't know what has been covered in your class, but there are equations for the velocity of an orbit.

The thing is that my school does not teach you Astronomy. They give you this massive booklet with 50 questions you need to answer and it has to be handed in on the first lesson of the year...

It is meant to refine your research skills or something like that.. I don't really understand what they were thinking when they did that...

No textbook? If research techniques are to be learned, then you should start by trying Google to see if you can get an equation for orbital velocity.

I'll just tell my teacher that out of the 50 questions this one I did not understand.

Riccardo K said:
No Textbook just a booklet with some "Suggest Websites". Equation: http://prntscr.com/g1rw0f
That link should tell you all you need to know to fill in the "Relevant Equations" field and answer the question.

Thanks

What is the purpose of studying the effects of varying satellite heights on orbit motion?

The purpose of studying this topic is to understand how changing the altitude of a satellite can impact its orbit and overall performance. This information is crucial in designing and launching satellites for different purposes, such as communication, navigation, and scientific research.

How does the height of a satellite affect its orbit?

The higher the satellite's altitude, the larger its orbit will be. This is because the higher the altitude, the longer the satellite takes to complete one orbit around the Earth. In addition, the higher altitude also affects the satellite's speed, as it has to travel a longer distance in the same amount of time.

Can varying satellite heights impact the satellite's lifespan?

Yes, the height of a satellite can significantly impact its lifespan. Satellites in higher orbits experience less atmospheric drag, which can prolong their lifespan. However, higher orbits also expose satellites to more radiation, which can damage their electronic components and reduce their lifespan.

What are the potential risks of changing a satellite's height?

Changing a satellite's height can be a complex and risky process. If not done carefully, it can alter the satellite's trajectory and potentially cause it to collide with other objects in space. It can also affect the satellite's communication and data collection abilities.

How do scientists determine the optimal height for a satellite?

Scientists use various factors, such as the purpose of the satellite, its expected lifespan, and the Earth's gravitational pull, to determine the optimal height for a satellite. They also conduct extensive simulations and tests to ensure the satellite's safety and efficiency at different altitudes.