1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite Motion

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
    Satellites orbiting the Earth are often put into orbit at different heights around the planet. What affect will this have on the motion of the satellite and how exactly would the motion of a very high orbit satellite differ from one neared to the Earth?

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    The closer the satellite to the Earth the stronger the force of Earth's Gravitational Field. If the gravitational force is greater than the Forward Motion Force wouldn't the satellite slowly get closer to the Earth and then Crash?

Thanks for any help provided

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure that you don't have any "Relevant Equations"? I don't know what has been covered in your class, but there are equations for the velocity of an orbit.

4. Jul 29, 2017 #3
    The thing is that my school does not teach you Astronomy. They give you this massive booklet with 50 questions you need to answer and it has to be handed in on the first lesson of the year...

5. Jul 29, 2017 #4
    It is meant to refine your research skills or something like that.. I don't really understand what they were thinking when they did that...

6. Jul 29, 2017 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No textbook? If research techniques are to be learned, then you should start by trying Google to see if you can get an equation for orbital velocity.

7. Jul 29, 2017 #6
  8. Jul 29, 2017 #7
    I'll just tell my teacher that out of the 50 questions this one I did not understand.

9. Jul 29, 2017 #8

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That link should tell you all you need to know to fill in the "Relevant Equations" field and answer the question.

10. Jul 29, 2017 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted