Calculating Sputnik I's Orbital Period

In summary, the conversation discussed the computation of the period of Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite, using various equations and formulas. The final answer was estimated to be 90 minutes.
uno
1.Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite to circle the planet (October 1957) had a mean orbital radius of 6957 km. Compute its period in seconds

2. I am using the equation T^2 = R^3/C

3. I converted 6957 km to AU's which equals 4.638 E-5. When I plug in the numbers, and convert it to seconds, I come up with 9.96 seconds. Am I using the correct formula?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use:

[tex] T^2 = (\frac{4\pi^2}{GM})r^3 [/tex]

G = 6.67E-11 (metres-cubed per kilogram per second-squared)
M = 5.98E24 (kilograms)
r = 6.957E6 (metres)

Last edited:
Hi Rake-MC,

Rake-MC said:
Use:

G = 6.67E-11 (metres-cubed per kilogram per second-squared)
M = 5.98E24 (kilograms)
r = 6.37E6 + 6.957E6 (metres)

The way I read the problem, I think the radius of the Earth is included in the 6957km given. Does that sound right to you?

Hmm it's a bit ambiguous, but thinking logically I would entirely agree that the radius of the Earth is included in the 6957km. Clearly I was thinking purely mathemtically and not realistically.

My professor told me to use formulas V=2 pi r/T and V^2 = GM/R, but my answer is still incorrect. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Using either:

Or the formula your professor gave you will yield the same answer.

It looks like it'll be approximately 90 minutes.

1. How is the orbital period of Sputnik I calculated?

The orbital period of Sputnik I can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. In this case, the planet is Sputnik I and its semi-major axis is the distance between its center and the center of the Earth.

2. What is the orbital period of Sputnik I?

The orbital period of Sputnik I was approximately 96.2 minutes. This means that it completed one full orbit around the Earth every 96.2 minutes.

3. How was the semi-major axis of Sputnik I determined?

The semi-major axis of Sputnik I was determined using data from its launch, including its initial altitude and velocity. This information was used to calculate the orbit and determine the semi-major axis.

4. Is the orbital period of Sputnik I constant?

No, the orbital period of Sputnik I is not constant. It gradually decreased over time due to atmospheric drag, causing the satellite to lose energy and orbit closer to the Earth.

5. Why is the orbital period of Sputnik I important?

The orbital period of Sputnik I was significant because it was the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth, marking the beginning of the Space Age. It also provided valuable data and insights into the Earth's atmosphere and the feasibility of space exploration.