1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite problem

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Describe TWO difficulties associated with effective or reliable communications between satellites and Earth.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

my class work
    Many google searches but still no clear answer
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Ask yourself the following questions. By what means do we communicate with satellites orbiting the Earth? What is essential in order to maintain communication by those means? Now, given where satellites are and what they do, what problems could interfere with such communications?
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your help. i ended up using Distance and The Van Allen Radiation Belts as my two answers and got some info about them. thanks again.
  5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

OK. I was thinking about atmospheric (and magnetospheric) interference with radio communications, the occasional alignment of some satellites with the Sun (so that an antenna on Earth pointing at the satellite is aimed right at the strongest radio source in the Solar System), and the fact that most kinds of satellites are not in view from a fixed point on Earth for long periods (geostationary communications satellites are the exception -- the orbits are chosen to assure that they are always in view from a given location).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?